Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AOL SP2

• Please log in to reply

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
When I downloaded SP2 it stopped my AOL from connecting so I uninstalled SP2 and AOL worked fine. I checked with AOL and they directed me to one of there sites and it said download the AOL SP2 Connection Patcher so I clicked it and it said SP2 was not found on my system. The big problem is how do I download the patcher if I can't connect to AOL.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Can you not just download the patch and save it to your hddd.. Then, upgrade to SP2 and then run the patch from your system itself?? :tazz:

Murray

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When you say aol stopped connection, what do you mean? Does it still dial and the AOL browser does not work, or does it fail to dial

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Howdy:

Can you not just download the patch and save it to your hddd..  Then, upgrade to SP2 and then run the patch from your system itself??  :tazz:

Murray

View Post

I wonder if it is probably an Activex componant that installs while online?

My thought was to connect with AOL dialer, minimize aol browser, and download with IE....

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I wonder if  it is probably an Activex componant that installs while online?

My thought was to connect with AOL dialer, minimize aol browser, and download with IE....

View Post

Yep.. never even thought of that.. should work I would think!!

Murray

CJIS

CJIS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK to download the file you have to be connected to AOL and you have to be running there Client you can't connect through AOL Dialler.
When you try to download it it says SP2 was not detected on your system and just does nothing after that.
When service pack 2 is installed you can't conect to AOL at all ( I am using Broadband) :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did they give you a webpage address we can look at? Or is it inaccessible from the internet?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just as an addendum to gerry's post, did you contact AOL and ask them just how an XP user is supposed to do it??

Murray