Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox

• Please log in to reply

starcraft

starcraft

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
hi i just restarted my pc and when i started firefox an went to my bookmarks i found they had all gone, all my passwords seem to be saved tho, i tried loading up the profiles
by going to run and entering firefox.exe -profilemanager and still niothing :tazz: ,,, any ideas guys ?

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
This will find bookmarks anywhere on the computer, including any backup copies you may not know about.

1. I strongly recommend searching everywhere for all files with 'bookmarks' in the name.

Here's how to search in Windows XP
(Some Windows versions are less elaborate, but you must search explicitly for hidden files on all local drives. Check the search options carefully. For Windows XP, make sure you follow this procedure exactly.)
=================
Start (Windows Start menu)
Search
For Files or Folders...

What do you want to search for?
All files and folders

All or part of the file name:
bookmark*

Look in:
Local Hard Drives

When was it modified?
Don't remember

What size is it?
Don't remember

More advanced options:
Search system folders
Search hidden files and folders
Search subfolders
===================

How to make sure the search succeeded (any OS)
Search for file 'profiles.ini', using EXACTLY the same procedure except for the file name. If you cannot, check your search procedure again.

NOTE: You may think you are searching in hidden folders, but the Windows Search utility hides them by default even if Windows Explorer does not. It is very easy to be tricked by this. Look carefully at the options on the Search box.

This procedure should even find files in the Recycle Bin (i.e. garbage can). Under certain circumstances you may have files named 'bookmarks.bak', 'bookmarks-1.html' or 'bookmarks.html.moztmp', which you would not find if you were searching only for 'bookmarks.html'. That's why I urge you to search for bookmarks* (the asterisk applies to Windows, Linux, or UNIX.) If the file is still on the computer, this procedure WILL find it.

2. If you are lucky, you will find several files and one will be the right one. The one you want is likely to be the one that has been modified most recently. The largest file has the most bookmarks, and is therefore also likely to be the most complete.

3. To view these files, just open them and view them with Fx or any browser.

4. Once you have found the file, open the Bookmarks Manager and import the file (File/Import...). This will add the retrieved bookmarks to the one you already have. This is safe, but you may find that you have duplicate bookmarks.

5. Alternatively, you can copy the bookmarks directly into your profile directory. Close Fx. Then open the profile directory, rename 'bookmarks.html' 'bookmarks.html.sav', and now copy your backup file into the profile directory and rename it 'bookmarks.html'. This may be a little more dangerous, depending on your skill. Remember, never copy one bookmarks file over another unless you are certain you know what you are doing.

6. If you have some but not all of your bookmarks, you are probably looking at an older copy.

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok mate trying that now thanks :tazz:

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Let me know either way, I may have some other methods to try.

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
its found bookmarks for another profile i have, but not the one that has all the ones i need

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Did you have to restart your machine "lets say the wrong way" you know....'windows was shut down improperly scandisc will now run to make sure there are no problems....etc etc' ?

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
no none of that , it looks like the file has been deleted some how doesnt it , [bleep] , this is gonna tale a while to get all them bookmarks back :tazz:

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
oh something i have noticed in in my start menu i now have start firefox in safe mode if that means anything to u ?

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Yes I would have to say they are probably gone. Sorry for that, Don't despair you will get them back, as always it just takes time. One more thing, do you know that you can back up your bookmarks? If you would like an explanation on how I will tell you.

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
yeah i know about that, just wish i had done so earlier , never mind these things happen, thanks for all ur help anyway :tazz:

Edited by starcraft, 07 July 2005 - 08:35 PM.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I don't know much about the safe mode, it might have something to do with the problem but I doubt it, Did you install any updates for microsoft recently?

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
no the only thing i done prior to restarting was a registry clean up using WINASO reg optimizer

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
That may be the root of all your problems, but I don't think we will ever know, sorry, good luck on rebuilding your bookmarks. Besides, someone may know somwhere else to look. :tazz:

starcraft

starcraft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok mate thanks for ur time anyway :tazz: