Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Does Bad Block Mean?....

• Please log in to reply

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi all
What does Bad Block in drive D mean?

I am getting this error all the time. Drive D is a FAT32 partition on my hard drive © which has all the programs that were pre-installed on my PC by Hewlett Packard.

I am getting random error messages on start up, saying that windows cannot start due to a missing file. This includes msconfig and others that I don't recognise. Is this due to the bad block thing?

<_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
A bad block is usually a physical error on your hard drive. It's often an early indication of a failing drive. <_<

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Great <_<

Does it matter that it's only on the partition with all the recovery data on? What I mean is, does my PC actually use that part of the drive for anything except storage?

Thanks for your reply, BTW.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

What I mean is, does my PC actually use that part of the drive for anything except storage?

The entire drive is only used for storage. <_<

I wouldn't rush to do anything. It might be an isolated error. Just run an error check (discscan) on the drive, and keep an eye out for more errors. Be sure you keep current on your backups.

dontcensorme

dontcensorme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

The entire drive is only used for storage. :D

View Post

<_< Doh!

Not being PC clever makes me ask questions that sound stupid. I know what I mean though :D

What I'm trying to say is, does my PC actually read from it and store new things on it or does it ignore it until I try to restore the PC (which is what that partition is for).

Does that make sense?

I did a disk scan again but it never reports any errors on the scan. The bad block message is in the event viewer and the error log though.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It's a special hidden partition that is only used to store restore data. Data is not written to this partition.