Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

logon: switch users

• Please log in to reply

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
when I go to the control panel > user accounts > change the way users log off.

(checkbox) Use the welcome screen

(checkbox) Use fast user switching

I had both checked when I first installed windows xp professional, but now I cant switch users. and when I hit windows logo key + y, it locks the computer, and I have to type my password to get back on. I want it to go to the user logon screen, where I can switch and work on another user. please help, its getting really annoying

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is fast user service switching on?

what are you trying to do with window logo key + Y---that is not a standard hotkey.

windows logo + L locks the pc, normally

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
using windows logo key + y switches users, I got it off the internet or out of pcworld, so thats easier than going to start > log off > switch users

and I just checked in the "services" area and found that fast user switching was set to manual and it was stopped, but when I went to the service and changed it to start automatically and hit start, it told me

"could not start the fast user switching compatiblity service on local computer"

"Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"

and so I'll just restart my computer and hopefully that will work.
But why did it disable it, I run different scans on a local libraries computer and they have 2 users admin and user, administrative account and limited users, so I have to run them on admin, and I switch users on them, but lately the same thing happened to them. how or what caused that, maybe a microsoft/windows security patch or update???

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Greetings! :tazz:

Windows logo + y is definately not a standard hotkey. Try using logo key + L to logoff.

Edited by VirusKillersM, 09 July 2005 - 01:41 PM.

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
sry I meant windows key + l, not y

and that used to switch users, until the service stopped.
when I'd switch users I could work on other users while running something on mine, it takes up more system resources though, because your running things on 2 different users

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
I understand. This might not be the best option but have you tried system restore? Most things broken works after restoring your computer to an earlier state. :tazz:

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
i forgot about that at first, but that might have worked. I really dont want to do that because I will lose my work and downloads I have done since. and I have dialup so I dont want to to do that, but that would work, I think. but there should be some way to get it to work, I am adding screenshots in a later post, it shows the services, I cant get a picture of the lock.

stevecraig12

stevecraig12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
these are the screenshots, I hope theyre helpful. I still cant figure this out. I have other problems too, on another comptuer, check under my profile for my topics and if you could see if you knew some answers to that one too

[attachment=2137:attachment]
[attachment=2138:attachment]