Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

keeg

keeg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Using Windows XP SP2. Problem that computer wont boot up even in safe mode. The Windows XP start window hangs up. If try in safe mode, drivers start to load, but freezes and doesn't complete load. Have WD 250 gig hard drive. Ran their diagnostic software and shows no errors. When I try to use the recovery disk I made for SP2, or even Western Digital's diagnostic CD, neither would run. I did set that boot sequence is CD drive, floppy, then hard drive. Help?

Advertisements

Dark_Side

Dark_Side

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
Welcome user and thanks for posting!

Looks like you have some serious malware and virus infections there.

You have 2 options:

1. Go to the MALWARE forums and ask an expert there.
2. Take the Computer to a technician and see what he can do.

Of course, this is just my advice. ;)

It'll be best to wait until a Staff Expert comes by. :tazz:

Good Luck!

Werner

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
You've made a special disk with SP2 on it? If you still have your original XP disc, try to get it booting from your CD and use the repair setting.

Emery

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you might be overheating...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
yes try the original cd if that does not work then we have to look at overheating problems or motherboard problems. But 1st did you try the
Last good configuration this is in the same place as the safe mode.
before you worry about hardware lets try the cd

keeg

keeg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Don't believe it is overheating. I ran the original XP disc and tried repairing boot. It didn't work. However, when I ran the diagnostic disk from Western Digital, although it showed no errors on the hard drive, when I tried to reboot, the computer did reboot, and I was able to use it as if nothing was wrong. After shutting computer down, I tried to start it again, but again would not boot. I put the Western Digital diagnostic disk back it and ran the quick test. After it was complete, I started computer again and was able to reboot. Any suggestions on what might be causing this situation?

Thanks!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
From within windows

start > run
chkdsk /r
enter

say yes to scan when it can lock the volume and reboot. Sounds like a harddrive/system file issue that chkdsk may be able to resolve.

At the end, your PC will reboot.

then go to

start > run
eventvwr.msc
enter

look under SYSTEM for winlogon...double click, it will show you what chkdsk found/fixed.