Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATX to ATX12V Cables?

• Please log in to reply

estople

estople

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I got a steal on an ATX tower case, but its PS doesn't have the 12V four pin connector dealie. I got an adapter cable from a PC shop up the street and the machine's running OK, but I was wondering - is this OK to do? Are there special circuits in ATX12V PSs for that cable? Will the CPU core draw more than an HD (or four)? Am I overloading my 300W PS with a celeron 1.7? WIll I be overloading it with my planned P4 2.8 GHz Northbridge upgrade?

TIA...

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
hmm what other parts do you have?- graphics card especcially...a 300W powersupply for a p4 2.8 is very weak and you might be running on a thin wire :tazz:

estople

estople

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Fairly minimalist right now, 256 Mg RAM, 80 Gig WD HD, CD burner, D845PESV mobo, and a Radeon 9250 w/ 128 Meg. I plan on jumping the RAM to 768 Meg or 1 Gig along with the processor bump. PCI boards include NIC, dual parallel and V.92. This things not even breathin' hard yet. :tazz:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
haha...well IMO i would def. find another PSU- there not that expensive, and always just stay on the safer side, as long as your not runnin too hard then right now you should be fine but with more ram, a better CPU and if you plan to upgrade your video card, def. make the move

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your current PSU is adequate from experience people tend to think you need more than you do you can get away with surprisingly little power.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
agreed with warriorscot- im running a 64 3400+ with a geforce fx5700 with only a 350W psu but as i was saying before...i am looking to get a 400 or 450W PSU

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its always nice to have a margin of error and exceptional requirements but my new rig would probably manage on 300W, you are hard pressed to build a system that wont run on 350W. Its not worth the bother if it isnt giving you any trouble.

estople

estople

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
:tazz: OK, guys, thanks! No plans to upgrade video card right now, this machine isn't for serious gaming. I'll stick with the 300W PS for now and keep an eye on the voltages with each upgrade.