Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Several Windows Software Problems

• Please log in to reply

al2k22

al2k22

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there, i am having trouble with windows media player and internet explorer.

When i start windows media player, and error box pops up saying: "An internal application error has occurred." and then the program just closes down.

Internet explorer refuses to run any javascript "applets" (if that is the right word), i have tried resetting all of the default settings in it but that does not help.

I have tried downloading and installing the latest patches and updates from microsoft.com but they all say "you have the lastest software intalled, setup will now close" and it then does. Therefore i have been unable to solve my problem, can you help?
Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Try uninstalling, then reinstalling Windows Media Player. Then go here to download the latest Java software.

al2k22

al2k22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i am having no problem with java, its javascript that's the problem, they are two different things.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Ah, I see. Well, you said 'applets', which led me into thinking that it was a problem with Java itself. :tazz:

In that case, open up Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, choose the Security tab and click on the little globe icon that says 'Internet' below it. Under the Security Settings window, scroll down until you reach the Scripting section, then enable all the little check boxes under that section.

Okay, you said that your problem wasn't with Java, but since you mentioned something about applets, make sure you have the correct option chosen, just in case. After you are done with Security, save your new settings and click on the Advanced tab. Scroll down until you've located the teeny Java coffee cup icon, then check to see that you have Use Java...for <applet> enabled.

al2k22

al2k22

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have tried doing that settings change now, but that has still not fixed the problem, and after uninstalling and then reinstalling media player the error message still appears rendering me unable to use media player.