Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Integrated Graphics

• Please log in to reply

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I know that this question was asked a little earlier, but I am not sure of how much it applies to my situation. I have a Dell 4600, Windows XP Home, and I have Intel Extreme Graphics 2. I have purchased an eVGA nVidia 5500 AGP 256MB graphics card upgrade. For installation, I have some questions. Before I put the card in I am not sure what to do with the Integrated graphics. Do I uninstall Extreme Graphics 2 from the control panel? Or do I just disable it from device manager? (I know you should not have two drivers installed at once for video. I know that in the BIOS, AGP is set to auto, so I do not have a problem there in changing from Integrated to AGP. So what it comes down to is this:

1. Disable in device manager.
2. Uninstall extreme graphics 2 from control panel.
3. Turn off computer.
4. Install new AGP card - BIOS automatically will detect, and use instead of integrated. - (So does this render disabling it in device manager useless?)
5. Install new drivers from nVidia website. (But what will my display look like if I have no graphics controller, unless there is one in Windows?)
6. Restart and adjust configurations as desired.

I have read a lot of places, and it seems as if I see conflicting accounts. Could someone please confirm this, or make changes where necessary?

Thanks so much.

Advertisements

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
im not sure on that my PC came with a Nvidia Geforce 6800 ULTRA so cant help ya

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Yeah, that seems to be my problem. I know how to upgrade from an older video CARD, but unsure if I am doing it right for integratedb garphics. I posted the same question on the Dell community forum, and this is what I got:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SpeedStep
Star Contributor

SpeedStep

Viewed 23 times

1. Download and install Directx 9.0C
2. Uninstall extreme graphics 2 from control panel.
3. Reboot so that all you have is VGA.
4. Install new AGP card - BIOS automatically will detect, and use instead of integrated. - (So does this render disabling it in device manager useless?)
5. Install new drivers from cdrom that comes with card!!
6. Restart and adjust configurations as desired.

Some systems do dual monitor no matter what. In those cases you may be fooled to think that the system froze. However it just defaulted back to the intel video.

If you have 2 monitors it helps in switching over.

MOST TIMES IF YOU HAVE EVER INSTALLED the Intel drivers it will keep flipping back to INTEL video and so this is WHY YOU DISABLE in the device manager.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

07-09-2005 01:02 AM

Mark Message as New
Add This Message to My Favorites
Add This Message to My Notifications
Highlight This Message
Print This Message
E-Mail this Message to a Friend
Report Abuse to a Moderator

Reply Reply

Re: Integrated Graphics
Options Options
lionelhuts
Forum Member

lionelhuts

Viewed 19 times

Thanks for the reply.

I have that Direct X, and I will uninstall graphics 2 from the control panel. I assume that this removes it from device manager also? Or does the controller remains, just the software is deleted? But if the controller remains, must I disable it from device manager as well, or should I only disable if I am running two monitors? And do I disable it in device manager before of after I place in the new video card?

Thanks again,
Jared

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone here have anything to say about my response abover abou tdisableing it? (And when I say disabling from device manager, I mean right click disable, not right click uninstall - or should I uninstall in Device manager?)

Gracias para tu ayuda,
Jared

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Here is what I do with integrated video.

Add/remove control panel
Search for driver/software packages, click remove
reboot into safe mode
Run DriverCleanerPro (available at driver heaven, http://www.drivercleaner.net/)
Reboot into BIOS
Check Integrated periperhals. There is sometimes a way to disable onboard ..sometimes this is not obvious, for example, set the frame buffer to zero.
Save, shut down, install new card.
Start up, install drivers.