Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Malware from [bleep]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tonyboy2005

tonyboy2005

• Pip
  • 4 posts
An unidentified malware program has deleted a critical portion of my computer's history and settings, including the recovery points that would have allowed me to restore the missing information.

I first noticed a problem with my Norton Internet Security program. The program had been disabled and a supervisor password, mysteriously added in the process, blocked me from accessing the program to enable it again. Besides Norton, I was unable to get five other programs to work. First, I got the error message "There is no current identity" whenever I tried to access Outlook Express. Second, my Internet Explorer browser was unable to connect to secure sites or retain history. Third, I was unable to get beyond a "Customize Options" window when I activated Media Player. Fourth, a message inexplicably came up that I didn't have sufficient memory to open a Microsoft Works document. Fifth, the settings for my Desktop background and start page reverted to the original factory settings and it didn't fix the problem when I went into set-up and changed them.

The solution seemed to be to delete and reinstall the programs, which I tried with the Microsofts Works and Media Player programs, but this didn't solve anything. Norton, which I also tried to delete and reinstall, really got me frustrated as the program cannot be deleted without the password.

I need to identify the malware and delete it from the computer. Ad-Aware, Spybot and other anti-malware programs have not been able to accomplish this. What should I do?

Anthony

Advertisements

tonyboy2005

tonyboy2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I forgot to include my HijackThis log.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum, not here!!

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Watch your Language

thickandthin

thickandthin

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Watch your Language

I'm sorry. That is where it's from though. Didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. Just aggravated. Sorry to offend.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
We really don't need to bump a four year old topic :)