Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE Cables

• Please log in to reply

hvc801

hvc801

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Alright, i just baught a dvd burner and installed it into my computer perfectly, works fine. The only problem is, is that now i had to unplug one of my drives in order to work my dvd burner. I look at the ide cable and it only has an two inputs for only two drives, and theres no where else i can plug in my other drive ..... i know theres a way to get them all working, but i jsut dont know it. Is there other ide cables that have more that only two input slots on it? or something else. I have the asus A7N8X motherboard, hopefully that helps. Thanks for the help guys.

p.s.
the burner came with another ide cable.

Edited by hvc801, 09 July 2005 - 10:39 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If both your IDE cable have a blue, a gray and a black connected then just set all devices to cable select, the black conn. goes to master, the gray to slave and the blue to the motherboard. If they aren't both that kind, then I reccomend that you get another one so that the BIOS will see a uniform arrangement.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You should have two IDE cables both with two connectors allowing for two IDE devices on each.. Are they all filled??

Murray

hvc801

hvc801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yep, both filled... you think i should just upgrade my motherboard?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
how many things have you got
2 hard drives and 1 cd burner any more