Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS/CMOS PROBLEMS

• Please log in to reply

mkezeor

mkezeor

• Pip
  • 6 posts
First off, this is a problem associated with a new computer build. Therefore, there is no operating system loaded becuase the problem I am having will not allow it.

When I turn on the power the BIOS will show up with the message "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded". At first I ignored this and continued on to try and install Windows XP. When the setup got to a point where it had to restart the computer restarted but nothing came back on the screen. The computer was running however as the fans were still working.

After leaving it powered off for 5-10 minutes I started it back up again to find that the CMOS had reset itself. I downloaded the newest BIOS file from the manufacturers site and corresponding utility file in order to update the BIOS. After running this I again restarted to find the same result, a black screen with the computer running and no BIOS.

Time after time I've had to leave it off for 5-10 minutes and then start it up just to get to the BIOS menu. But to no avail I will have to restart and then it's back to the black screen, no BIOS, but with computer running.

I have tried everything from unplugging all input sources and replugging them back, clearing the CMOS, changing keyboard/mouse, and other advice offered from online sources. But nothing works.

Some sources say the battery may be defective causing the "CMOS checksum error" but I am unsure of this considering this is a brand new motherboard received just yesterday. However, installing a new battery is the only step that I know of that I haven’t taken. (Actually am on my way to store after this post to buy one.)

I'm concerned with why the BIOS refuses to show up after being restarted and why it has to wait 5-10 minutes with power off before it starts up again only to be reset.

The following is a list of hardware (all brand new) with the system:

Foxconn 655A01-FX-6LRS Socket 478 SIS 655FX ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 330 Prescott 533MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 HDD
pqi POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered
eVGA 128-A8-N350 Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540
SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
RAIDMAX Elite ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply

Thanks for any help (and putting up with quite possibly the world’s longest post!)

- mkezeor

Advertisements

mkezeor

mkezeor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just put in a new battery... didn't help. Still restarts to blank screen. Starting to lose any hope... :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I've just read the manual for the motherboard. The only thing that I can find that may be a problem, is the cpu. You said your cpu is a celeron D prescott. The manual & foxconns website, don't specify this in the compatibility list - the P4 prescott is listed & so are the celeron willamette & northwood, but no prescott.
Also, I am a bit unclear as to what speed your cpu is.

If you're certain that the cpu is supported, then I would check the cpu temps & vcore voltage in the bios. If thats all ok, try disconnecting everything from the mobo (eg drive cabling/usb headers etc) & try again, but I suspect this may not make much difference.

Let me know the outcome of the things I've already suggested before we go any further.

mkezeor

mkezeor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply,

The CPU is an Intel Celeron D 330 Prescott 533MHz FSB Socket 478 at 2.66GHz. I also thought that may be an issue but they have what I thought was my processor on their website listed as compatible.

Posted Image

I am unclear, however, if it is in reference to a Prescott processor or not. Whenever I was able to bring up the BIOS it would show the name of the processor no problem if that means anything.

Also, I've switched out hardware from my own personal computer, including my Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz (Northwood) to find the same results. This motherboard does have a jumper setting that allows you to switch between what kind of processor (Prescott, Northwood, Willawhatever) that you have installed but that didn't change anything.

Because I feel I've exhausted every option I obtained an RMA and am just going to write it off as a sucky mobo.

Thanks again...

Edited by mkezeor, 10 July 2005 - 05:48 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I think you're right to rma the board in that case, especially given that you have tried your P4 cpu in it & you still have the same problems.

Good luck with the replacement board