Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows is gone

• Please log in to reply

howie27

howie27

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't start my other computer.When I tried to turn it on this morning all I got was this message: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt - window/system32/config/system. You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cdrom(which I don't have).
I even tried to start it on safe mode but I just keep getting the same message.Please help I have all of my business files on that computer ,and I can't afford to have it all wiped out.

Thank you for your quick response on my problem. I tried to locate someone who has win xp home edition to borrow their disc but I have not had any luck. I contacted hp and they are sending me a recovery disc. Can I use the same process you described with this disc instead of the xp disc to get windows up and running without deleting all of my previous files

Edited by howie27, 10 July 2005 - 04:13 PM.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Try a repair installation- borrow the same windows xp pro or home which ever you have and pop in the CD-

When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Hopefully that will restore the files missing on your computer. Please post back and let me know how it went