Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive problem, please help.

• Please log in to reply

clarineti

clarineti

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I recently purchased an Iogear external hard drive 250gb.
It comed with 8 partitions, and i would like to know if i should make them all into 1, and if yes, how do i do that?
i have a powerbook G4.
I am not so experienced with this, so i would welcome any help.
Thanks

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
You could format the drive- make sure you backup all your data first as you will loose everything on that drive

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need to remove all the old partitions, put in one new partition of the type you want and reformat the drive. If the first partition is the type you want you may be able to keep it, but it may be easiest just to remove them all. However, one question is whether your computer is up to seeing and addressing a 250gb drive?

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
is this drive connnected USB? and how old is the powerbook?

clarineti

clarineti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a G4 powerbook which i bought in february. This is an external hard drive.
The problem is that i dont know how to format or delete partitions on the external drive thru mac. (i know pc's much better).
if anyone can guide me thru this i'll be greatful.
Thanks,

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Can you right click the drive and look for the option of format?

clarineti

clarineti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi, thanks for helping.

As i said, i have a powerbook, which means that i dont have "my computer" or disk management. When i connect the external hard drive i have 8 icons "triselect"
showing on my desktop.
if i eject one of them, all icons dissapear.
Thanks

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Im very sry ;) im not very familiar with apple products :tazz:- you could try posting in the other operating systems forums

again i am very sry:(

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it were a PC you could make all 8 partitions dynamic and then you could span them into one drive...maybe you could check the Mac site on if this is possible with mac