Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions on "Member Group"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Questions on "Member Group" :

1 - What is the differntiation between "member" & "senior member"?

2 - What is Member Group: "banned"?

3 - What would cause that stigma?

Jack123

Advertisements

St0rm

St0rm

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
1. A member has 5-49 posts and a senior member has 50-99
2. People who were banned from the site for spamming, flaming, or abusing the rules.
3. Dunno what you're talking about there.

Here's a promotion list:

Newbie: 0-4 posts
Member: 5-49 posts
Senior Member: 50-99 posts
Computer Tech: 100-499 posts
Computer Geek: 500-999 posts
1337 G33|<: 1000+ posts

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

2 - What is Member Group: "banned"?

3 -  What would cause that stigma?

Jack123

View Post

Admins. are the only people here who can ban someone. For me, I *ONLY* resort to a ban if a member posts p0rn, links to viruses etc (believe me..it's happened), repeatedly breaks rules after being warned (such as discussing illegal "cracks" to programs, etc).

Generally as a rule of thumb, myself and/or the other Admins here will warn someone, via pm or email, about whatever it is they have done. If they become rude and/or abusive, they are banned. Usually though, most people apologize and continue to be productive members of the boards. There is, of course, exceptions to that rule...and those people are banned with NO warning....the ones who join ONLY to spam the boards, post offensive material, etc.

Hope this clears things up! :tazz:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
While I was reading a post . . . .(cannot remember name ). . . I noticed that "Return Name/INFO" had: . . . group: banned . . . .

I was just curious . . . .the post was borderline distasteful/ignorant

I just thought it was odd that if the Poster Group was listed as : "banned" - how the post got thru?? & what is banned? 1/2 banned

Is it possible to user edit the group???? Can you scan posts by group??
or do a search on group names & see if someone has added their own?

Just a concern that I had
Thanks for replying - This Forum is well organized -
Jack123

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

While I was reading a post . . .  .(cannot remember name ). .  . I noticed that "Return Name/INFO" had: . .  . group: banned . . .  .

I was just curious . . .  .the post was borderline  distasteful/ignorant

I just thought it was odd that if the Poster Group was listed as : "banned" - how the post got thru?? & what is banned? 1/2 banned

Is it possible to user edit the group???? Can you scan posts by group??
or do a search on group names & see if someone has added their own?

Just a concern that I had
Thanks for replying - This Forum is well organized -
Jack123

View Post

The reason you see this is because the user was banned AFTER they had made the post. If someone is banned, their posts are not erased or deleted. The ONLY way we ever delete posts entirely is if they are offensive, abusive, etc. Otherwise, we simply "edit" as need be, and go on from there.

The only people here who can change a members' status, user group, title, etc are the Administrators, and there are only a couple of us. Not even Mods have access to be able to do this, and I assure you that NO "members" have access to the Admin. Control Panel where this type of thing is changed. For instance...you can change your own avatar and signautre....but you can NOT edit your own "member" title.

Hope that helps! :tazz:

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Thanks . . . Makes sense as to why I saw the post . . .I did not pay much attention nor looked at it very long . . . nor considered it useful. .

I just included the comments on that issue, in my initial post on this thread . . .

Thanks - I am satisfied - you can close/complete this thread
Jack123