Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Accessing CD-ROM Drive

• Please log in to reply

Spracher

Spracher

• Pip
  • 5 posts
About two weeks ago, I was getting a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error when running Explorer or Spy Sweeper, with an "abnormal program termination" error. When I clicked on O.K., everything would disappear except my wallpaper. Other times when the system was running a complicated program, sometimes it would just blip out and go to a blue screen with white squiggly lines. In both cases I would have to cold-boot.

I made the mistake of taking Microsoft's advice, and downloaded their updates. Now two years after installing Spy Sweeper and wiping out all the junk and having zero problems, my system LOADED up with junk, spyware, adware, [bleep] icons, and other stupid stuff. Spy Sweeper would no longer run without crashing the system, and I couldn't access the Control Panel unless I was in the Safe Mode without freezing everything up.

I heard about your site and before submitting a post, downloaded and ran the programs you suggest. I am happy to report that everything appears to have "magically repaired itself" including the Runtime Error, but it seems I'm not out of the woods yet, and need your help getting everything back to normal.

Now when I insert a CD, the system no longer boots it automatically. When I try to access it through winfile.exe, it says there is no CD in the drive. Also I can't seem to get rid of the coolwebsearch adware/malware without it reloading at some point by itself. Nothing works to remove it. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the rambling post. The next one should be clearer when my frustrations have eased a bit.

Bill

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sounds like it's time to do a Windows reinstallation. If your installation disk has the cabinet files you can copy them to C:, they should be in the win98 folder, just copy the whole folder. Then just run Setup.exe from the folder and it should install without losing either your files or settings, including your programs. If you use the installation disk itself it will erase your files and programs. Don't forget to have your product key handy.

But do some more consulting first. Some others may have a simpler fix for you.

Edited by Tyger, 11 July 2005 - 10:12 AM.

Spracher

Spracher

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wouldn't I need to be able to access the CD-Rom drive to do this?

Bill

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Wouldn't I need to be able to access the CD-Rom drive to do this?

Bill

View Post

You're right, but someone may come along and solve that problem. Or you may already have them in your computer. They will generally be in a folder named win98 in C: or be in C:\windows\options\cabs.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Also I can't seem to get rid of the coolwebsearch adware/malware without it reloading at some point by itself. Nothing works to remove it. Any suggestions?

Have you tried CWShredder?

makai