Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore to factory settings

• Please log in to reply

PaulLR44

PaulLR44

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[COLOR=orange][SIZE=7][FONT=Geneva]
I am planning on buying a new computer and will no longer require the one I am using, I would like to restore my system to its' original factory settings, and I thought there was an option to do this but am unable to find it. Am I mistaken, and if so is there a way to do this. I am running Windows XP Home Edition, on a Hewlett Packard Pavilion, Intel Pentium4, 1.80GHz, 1.82GHz, 224MB Ram :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Not such a big problem. I did it not long ago. If you have your installation disks just run them and reinstall windows completely, don't use the repair mode. Turn off automatic updates and update a few files at a time, some of the updates won't install together and since automatic mode installs them at shutdown the computer won't shutdown. Make sure that the installation is registered within 30 days or it will stop working. It can always be reinstalled and reregistered.

*Katie*

*Katie*

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am also trying to restore the factory settings on my laptop. I'm not sure whether or not I have all the discs that it came with. Do you know if there is a way to reset everything without the discs?
Any help will be appreciated :) Thanks. Katie.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Katie, please post a new topic so that we can keep everything straight between you and Paul.

In your post, please include your laptop's make and model.

Thanks! :)

Edited by The Admiral, 06 November 2008 - 02:55 PM.

steven35mm

steven35mm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i cant belive the answer to the question,,it asked how to reset,,then the answer told nothing how to do it,,,,,,so what button do i press,or what thing do i do,,just dont tell me what to do,,but how,,this is how you teach,,you show with words not just tell,,now will someone please go into detail onnhow to reset to pre bought setting,,not erase everything but to get rid of everything i put on this pc,,do you know what im saying,,why dont they have this on my vista book i got,,geez,,it seemd so simple,,i dont have any disks,,it been years since i bought this,,im selling it,,i dont want to sell it to someone with all my info and book marks and what not,,so please SHOW how to do this,,what do i do in detail,,geez,,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: steven35mm

Please start your own topic as this one is 5 years old.
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.