Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown problem

• Please log in to reply

Shaitan

Shaitan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My computer just shuts down. Pow! just like that, it shuts down. No rebooting, no nothing, just a brutal and unfriendly shutdown. The system is clean from any form of malware/spyware but still I cannot see why it would do that only when somebody is using it. It was on for the last day or so, nothing happens, I go on it POW shutdown.. this is really annoying please help me

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Are you saying that as long as no one is using the computer, it stays powered up... but as soon as you try to run something on the computer, it shuts off?

What happens if you simply move your mouse around. Does it shut off then?

How about if you launch Task manager... Are you able to do that?

Can you open My Computer? How about Display Properties?

makai

Shaitan

Shaitan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's not like as soon as I touch the mouse the computer crashes but it looks like a random thing. I can access all over the computer, no problem, but there is still the big w question. WHY!!! could it be related to the powerbar? or even come other hardware problems?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Open the case and check all the coolers sor dust. Clean them off if need be. This sounds like a temperature problem and the machine is protecting itself from overheating.

Shaitan

Shaitan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
that's what i thought but then again, why would it stay open while nobody is on it, whilst the usual programs are on( limewire, explorer, winamp...so on)

the inside is quite clean

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The reason I asked those questions is because your post made it sound like you couldn't do anything. A pc that shuts down hard is difficult to troubleshoot if you can't even turn it on.

Hard shutdowns are normally hardware problems. You need to determine which hardware is causing it by pulling peices out of your computer.

It could be the power supply, or the motherboard itself.

Try pulling everything out except the ram, cpu and vid card and try running it that way for a while. If it stays up, and doesn't crash, start installing one more device and run it a while. The process of elimination can take some time, but you will definitely find it if it's a hardware fault.

makai

Shaitan

Shaitan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
will try thanks alot for your time

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Sounds like a typical memory problem. If you have more than one memory stick, take all of them out except for one. Reboot and see if that makes your system stable. Keep adding memory sticks until the problem comes back.

Emery