Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocked

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Removing the RAM chip won't do any good -- unless you know someone else with the same mobo. The you could "hot swap" the RAM chip while the other board was running, and flash the BIOS.

We've all had problems flashing BIOS, some of us a few times. <_<

Do you have more than one CD Drive? If so, try the CD in the other drive.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Yes, I have a dvd rom and a cd rom. When I flashed the bios back to it's original state, I had to use the dvd drive, because it couldn't find it in the cd rom. I think maybe i had them in the wrong order in the boot config. I'll try to use the cd rom drive. I haven't tried that since everything went down, I just kept using the dvd....Oh and I wish I knew someone else with the same mobo..... <_< That would help out...

I just read a post someone made saying that if you're gonna move the jumper to clear cmos you have to have the power plugged in, and you only need to unplug the power while removing the battery, is this true?

-=jonnyrotten=-

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It would also be a good idea to remove the mobo from the case and bench test it. You may have a case ground, and its just a coincidence you had trouble while flashing the BIOS.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Do I need to take it somewhere to have them bench it? Or can I do it myself somehow?

I just read a post someone made saying that if you're gonna move the jumper to clear cmos you have to have the power plugged in, and you only need to unplug the power while removing the battery, is this true?

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Do it yourself! Just take the mobo out of the case. Install only the RAM, video card, and hard drive. You'll have to short across the power dip switch, or run the wires from the case to it to power on. You'll probably have to remove the power supply to get all the wires attached.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ok, did the bench test, still nothing. I tried taking the battery out overnite....nothing. I tried both cd drives, nothing. Plugged floppy in and nothing. I am going to contact http://www.zipzoomfly.com where I ordered from and see what they have to say about it. Maybe get it fixed or replaced. I have my intel board back in my machine, so I should be around now that I am back online...this sucks!

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Working on getting a replacement or repair on my mobo now since I had the bios chip flashed and it still does not work.... <_<

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hahahahahahah!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! I got a new mobo to replace the other one. Zipzoomfly didn't ask any questions or anything. All I had to do was pay for shipping there and insure the package. They had it for 2 days before the return shipment was shipped back via 2 day air for free again. The only problem was they shipped it last Wednesday and because of Thanksgiving, UPS was closed Thurs-Sun. Ahh! So it was free 2 day: 6 day shipping <_< They sent back all the original accessories (cables, dirver disk, jumpers, and manual) but a brand new motherboard....Thanks zipzoom :D Anyways I got it all put together and and the emachine is well on it's way to becoming a realmachine. I have my celeron 2.66 ghz processor nicely overclocked at 3.31 ghz. This is the same as I had it before things went haywire. 512mb samsung PC2700 ram at around 333mhz with 2-3-3-6 latency. The funniest part of all is with a bus speed of 661.4 mhz and a half ghz oc on my processor, it is running about 10 degrees cooler than it was at 533mhz bus and 2.66ghz stock speed on the old intel board. :D Now about that video card I was hunting for...... :P

-=jonnyrotten=- :o

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ok another question.. My mobo constantly runs my fans at full speed even when running it at 533mhz stock speed. I am using SpeedFan right now to set the fan speeds and so on. I have put SpeedFan into my startup folder since there is no option to have it startup with Windows. This way when I boot into Windows I just have to minimize the program and i'm good to go. The only problem is that when I boot into any other accounts on my pc (they're limited) SpeedFan is not running and even if I were to put it in the startup folder I don't need the other users being able to mess with the settings. I was wondering if anyone knows of any sort of software that can do the same basic functions as SpeedFan but I can just set it with my Admin account and have it run in the system tray for all accounts? Also I downloaded MBM5 and my mobo isn't on there <_< I have the Asus P4P800-VM and the closest ones on there are the P4R800-VM and the full sized P4P800 deluxe boards. Any ideas?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I have this gnarly itch to try and update my bios again. <_< I'm afraid to try cuz that's what screwed up my board the last time, but I kinda like the fear. I need to scratch the itch....Help! Ahh! Also I am overclocking with ClockGen since my fsb is locked in bios. When I reboot the pc it stays oc'd but when I power off and power back on I have to set ClockGen again. There's a "Ghost Mode" I can run by creating a shortcut with the parameter -file=savefile.ini (or some sort of text file that I create with the settings in it) and then putting the shortcut in my startup folder, but I can't get it to read the param file for some reason. Not a huge deal, but it is annoying. Maybe there's a hacked bios somewhere I can use to unlock my fsb.... :D

-=jonnyrotten=-

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
5 posts in a row -- If figured I better reply. :D

Many Asus boards have Q-Fan, that adjusts the fan speeds from the BIOS based on temps -- your's doesn't. :D MBM5 may work if you can find another board listed that has the same chipset as yours.

Be very careful with hacked BIOS's. <_< I've used them, just be sure they're from a source you can trust.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well I'm sure you know I am now deathly afraid to flash my bios after what already happened. But I read a review of my board on newegg and the guy said the new 1013 update has some "decent" overclocking features. I have version 1012. I wonder what they are. I also found a 1013.5 version on this site:

http://ftp.maxdata.d...-VM/BIOS-Update

But it's not on Asus's site. I wonder what this one has. I can only bring myself to try it if it will unlock my fsb. By the way I oc'd my ram to 352mhz and I'm running at 3.5ghz right now. Still need to torture test, but it reboots just fine. When I play unreal tournament 2004 for too long i do get some minor artifacts. I'm gonna back it down so my ram is at 347mhz. Oh ya I just like to type...haha

-=jonnyrotten=- <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Go for it! Update to the latest version from ASUS (usually the .tw server has the latest versions). Flash the BIOS twice before rebooting to increase your success. <_<