Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

user account help needed

• Please log in to reply

chrismcl2005

chrismcl2005

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi i had a problem with my user account so i created a new 1 and deleted the old one then finding out all my notes i had stored in outlook had disappeared is there any way of retreiving them as the notes were very important can someone please help. i have tryed system restore but this does not work any advice would be very helpful as ive been told things arent really deleted unless i write over them or low level format hdd. :tazz: ;) :help: ;)

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Look in ''all users'' and see is your old account is in there.

Emery

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Outlook keeps all data in a file called OUTLOOK.PST - a separate one for each account user that uses Outlook, and it's located in the path:
C:\Documents & Settings\[Account Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

Use the search tool - configure it to include sub-folders and hidden files/folders in the search. With any luck it may find more than one -- your old one will be one them (check the file date stamp). Import it into Outlook using Outlook's import/export tool on the file menu.

In future, export a backup PST file regularly. The tool is there to make backups a breeze -- use it!

Edited by pip22, 11 July 2005 - 12:47 PM.

chrismcl2005

chrismcl2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello thanks for your quick reply I tried that but to no avail. Do you have any other ideas of how to restore this information? Can it be done in DOS? All I need is the info I stored in the post it notes. They are important!

Thanks

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
well you have to buy a 3rd party software and this even not garanteed to work (e.g. Ontrack Easy recovery Pro)
you can download the demo and it would tell you if you can recover it but it won't recover until you buy the full version.