Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Radeon 9800 PRO Diagnostics

• Please log in to reply

talha_81

talha_81

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey!

A couple of weeks back my beautiful Radeon 9800 pro suffered some physical damage in some unfortunate accident. It apparently needed some soldering so i gave it away to be fixed. After it has returned i am a little skeptical about testing it extensively because it appears to heat up a few minutes after booting.

May be this kind of heating up is normal for a 9800 pro but it sure feels hotter than any of the other equipment i am using.

In my small trials (about 10 mins) with Counter Strike source and chronicles of the riddick it seems to work OK (hasnt given artifacts).

I want to know if there are any kind of software diagnostics or monitoring tests I can run on it to make sure that it is OK before subjecting it to prolonged use. Am I being too skeptical?

Hope you can help me out.

Cheers,

PS:
I have got an Athlon 64 3000+ on MSI K8TNeo (MoBo), 120 GB barracuda and 1GB DDR PC400.
I have been using this configuration for some five / six months.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
If you have a temerature guage on your computer, I would reccomend moving the probe onto your video card to see exactly how hot it gets. Also, was the card gettign this hot before your "unfortunate accident"? Another thing you might want to look into is an after market GPU cooler. You can find them at various online stores including xpcgear.com.

http://search.store....0&Search=Search

or others like newegg.com, outpost.com, or tigerdirect.com (all of which I reccomend and consider trustworthy).

--Chris

Sillysod

Sillysod

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, where did you get it fixed?

talha_81

talha_81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am not sure what sort of a gadget a temprature guage would be ... Are you talking about some feature of my MoBo or any external device that would connect to my PC. In the latter case may I know some examples.

The point is ... I dont know if this amount of heating up is OK. I can only feel that it is heating up by touching it. I didnt do that before the damage came about.

If some body out there is using a 9800 pro. I need to know how much does it heat up under load with the stock cooling apparatus.

I got it repaired from a local store from some techinician here in Pakistan. I got this card shipped all the way from the US so its hard to claim warranty or service which in my case could have been void anyway. I dont have any repair services specifically for this card in this part of the world, I just took my chances with some person who has been doing such work. It was he who suggested that the heating was alarming and that he didnt have a clue about it.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yes so far as "temperature guage" I mean a third party device that can be installed on your computer itself, many stores both retail and online carry various types of these.

So far as the stock temperatures, I did some research and found these results when using the stock GPU cooler:

Idle Temp (Testted after letting Windows sit for one hour on the desktop with no screen saver): 50 degrees C
Stressed temp (tested after playing Doom 3 for one hour while game was still running): 64 degrees C.

Keep in mind that these results could vary plus/minus 3 degrees C.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have anay other questions.

--Chris