Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with windows 98

• Please log in to reply

chattycathy1112

chattycathy1112

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Everyone,

I had downloaded something from buenosoft.com, and it was for a program for languages.
When I got done...it said That I had restart my computer for it to work.
Well! when I did...it read ERROR IN STARTING PROGRAMS...OLEAUT32 DLL file cannot start. Check file to determine the problem.

If I have to reformat and reinstall windows 98. How do I do it, and get this computer going again. Even if I have erase it to start on a clean new slate.
I'm willing to do it.

PLEASE HELP!
Cathy French

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
For starters go Start>Run, type in sfc and run the System File Checker. If the file is defective it will at least tell you. You may need your restore disk.

chattycathy1112

chattycathy1112

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Thank You!!!!
I'll do it, and see what happens.

Cathy French

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
sfc /scannow will not work on Win98. Luckily, Win98 DOES have a built in file checker. See here to find how to run the file checker.
The scan needs to be done in SAFE mode, and can take a few hours to do, so be patient with it.

In case you don't know how, you get into Safe Mode by restarting the computer, and just as it begins to boot, begin rapidly tapping the F8 key on your keyboard, and you will be taken to a screen where you can choose the option to enter Safe mode. :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

sfc /scannow will not work on Win98. Luckily, Win98 DOES have a built in file checker. See here to find how to run the file checker.
The scan needs to be done in SAFE mode, and can take a few hours to do, so be patient with it.

In case you don't know how, you get into Safe Mode by restarting the computer, and just as it begins to boot, begin rapidly tapping the F8 key on your keyboard, and you will be taken to a screen where you can choose the option to enter Safe mode. :tazz:

View Post

I don't know about sfc /scannow, but typing in just plain sfc works fine on this computer and others I have/had.