Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezes

• Please log in to reply

owarrak

owarrak

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello every1

I was wondering if any1 could help me. I have recently built my own computer about a year ago and at the momment when-ever i run an application or a game or something it totally freezez up about 15 minutes into using the application. I have tried reinstalling windows and formatting the HD but it still does it. I thought it was the CPU over heating so i installed 2 extra fans into my system but they have made no difference. Any1 got any ideas??

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Hmmm, odd. Is your machine up to the tasks you hand it? I mean, are you trying to run some really heavy application on a Commodore 64 equivalent? Or has your computer always done these applications normally and is it all of a sudden acting up?

If it happened suddenly my first try would be,
run a memory test.

Success :tazz:
Ojo

( Oh, by the way, I'm someone, not any1 (or even worse, NE1).
Sorry, lazy internet speach just annoys the [bleep] [Infernal realms: apparently censored out] out of me. )

Edited by Ojoshiro, 11 July 2005 - 03:10 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Right click on the system tray and pull Task Manager up and use it to monitor while you're using the computer. It may tell you you're running out of memory or your page file system is filling up. Also consult the logs, they can tell a lot about what causes lock ups and freezes.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
If you think your CPU is overheating . . . .did you clean out the dust build up in the heatsink fins? If it is clogged up . . . .it will not matter how many fans you add . . . .no air is passing thru the heatsink.

Take a few minutes to inspect your CPU heatsink/fan assembly.

1 year is about the time it takes for the dust to collect into the fins. . .

this problems starts out slowly & progressively gets worse

Use a can of "Cleaning Duster" . . . .Do not invert can while using!!

Pressurized air will turn to liquid when container is inverted. . . .

Jack123

owarrak

owarrak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I will give all of that a go and see what happens, cheers guys.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Do not overlook the Video Board . . . . many have fans on them...

Also it is a good idea - (if you have room) - to leave the next 2 PC slots open to leave the fan room to suck in air . . . .they usually face down & suck up. . . .

Jack123