Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hijack help against AVgold & co

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  • Please go http://www.howtotell.com (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer ( NOT Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
  • Click on "Windows Validation Assistant"
  • Click on the "Validate Now" button.
  • Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do NOT click on any links.
  • Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
  • Enter your product key then click "continue"
  • When it says "Validation Complete" please click "Continue to return to your previous activity"
  • Copy what it says and paste it here.

Advertisements

bodben

bodben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
After the "validate now" button it says:

We’re sorry, but we were unable to service your request. You may wish to choose from the links below for information about Microsoft products and services.

Is the problem with me or their server? As far as I know my ActiveX is working and it is not disabled.

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
are you using a dial-up or DSL? Did you try it using Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, it should be!

Why not update first your windows patches. Start > Help and Support > from the menus on Pick a Task, choose Keep your computer up-to-date with Windows Update
  • Please go http://www.howtotell.com (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer ( NOT Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
  • Click on "Windows Validation Assistant"
  • Click on the "Validate Now" button.
  • Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do NOT click on any links.
  • Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
  • Enter your product key then click "continue"
  • When it says "Validation Complete" please click "Continue to return to your previous activity"
  • Copy what it says and paste it here.

bodben

bodben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi!

I have DSL connection via router. The Internet Explorer version is 6.0. I checked the updates what you have said, but only the sp2 is left, which I cannot do.

I tried the howtotell again, and still not working. What is it suppposed to do?

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
It is supposed to verify if you are using the ORIGINAL Windows XP and not the PIRATED.

I need that verification so I can determine if you have the legit copy or not. I will be unable to help you any further on this site if it is a pirated copy, as we have a strict policy we adhere to in only helping people who have legitmate copies of Windows. Thank you for understanding.

bodben

bodben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I do not know if my xp copy is pirated or not, it came with the computer. But I cannot check it, the howtotell is not working, and I do not have any documentation.

I totally understand your policy, and I find it reasonable.

I am very happy that there are people helping others, and using their knowledge in a noble way.

You have helped me a lot, and now my computer is working good again. The sp1 upgrade would be good for prevention, so as I said I will try to find out if my xp is legal or not and if not then buying a licence.

Good bye! :tazz:

bodben

bodben

bodben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I do not know if my xp copy is pirated or not, it came with the computer. But I cannot check it, the howtotell is not working, and I do not have any documentation.

I totally understand your policy, and I find it reasonable.

I am very happy that there are people helping others, and using their knowledge in a noble way.

You have helped me a lot, and now my computer is working good again. The sp1 upgrade would be good for prevention, so as I said I will try to find out if my xp is legal or not and if not then buying a licence.

Good bye! :tazz:

bodben

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Okay I will await you comeback :tazz: I will still be here to help you if you had it validated. Just feel free to drop by, okay?

I will close this thread for the moment, just PM any staffs if you want this thread to be re-opened. (This only applies to the original poster. Others please start a new topic.)

Thank you.