Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to clean (format) my Win-XP hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Motor Rider

Motor Rider

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: Hi guys, I just upgraded my DSL modem which will not cooperate with my computer to interact with the Internet. I spent about two hours with Bellsouth tech support trying to configure the computer with no positive results. Final conclusion is that there is something (antivirus, firewall,etc.. which I disabled as much as I know to do) preventing the process.

Next step I feel is to format the hard drive and start over. How do I do this?

Thanks a bunch.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Could you give us a rundown of the steps you have unsuccessfully tried with the Bellsouth tech? That will save us from suggesting things you have already investigated. Hold off on the reinstall for now- there could be other things preventing the connection that a new Windows isn't going to fix.

Johanna

Motor Rider

Motor Rider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Johanna, we tried logging onto Internet Explorer, Netscape, Bellsouth, and default gateway numbers in various places.
· Control panel Network Connections to verify connectivity.
· Control panel Internet Options to check and change addresses to include default gateway numbers as well as LAN settings.
· Start, Run, CMD to verify IPCONFIG numbers.
· Start, Run, MSCONFIG to disable startup programs.
· Device Manager to verify that the modem was installed, no problem warning signs and that the device was working properly.

The procedures was not necessarily in the in the order I just described but we did a lot of back and forth to hit all of them.

Thanks again.

Gary

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
What steps did u do to make sure all your firewalls are turned off... Did you got to Sart - run - msconfig - services - hide all microsoft services - then locate the firewall and uncheck it - then click apply - ok - restart.

That usually kills firewalls or other unwanted programs running in the background, from the start up. if you found firewalls running and you disabled them you might want to make sure your network adapter is enabled and has the corrrect drivers.-- right click on my computer - go to properties, then scroll down to network adapters and make sure there isnt a red x, or yellow exclamation point over the current adapter your using. if there is . . . post back and ill advise from there.... if not then continue on. click on file then exit and go back to start bar...to renew and release you ip address

run - type in cmd or command, when the black dos screen comes up type in ipconfig /release or ipconfig /release_all (depends on OS) should give you 0.0.0.0 now type in ipconfig /renew or ipconfig /renew_all (depends on os). that should give you an ip address from your ISP.... I dont know what bellsouth's ip prefix is but if you get a 172 that usually indicates a modem provisioning issue with the ISP and a 169 usually means a connectivity issue between the network adapter and the modem.
unable to contact DHCP or DHCP server unavailable usually indicates your modem is not in Block Sync status (not connecting to CMTS)

type exit to leave command prompt. Hoped that helped some

Motor Rider

Motor Rider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Space Cowboy,

Thanks for your reply. Evidently Windows XP will not recognize msconfig as a internal or external command so I couldn’t go to msconfig to turn off the firewall. However, I did turn off the only firewall I know about through the normal means of clicking on the icon and turning it off in the dialog box.

Bellsouth worked me through the ipconfig to make sure that the numbers were correct so I feel secure with what is there.

The device manager showed no signs of problems with the connection or modem’s working ability and said that it was working properly.

Thanks for your effort to help.

Gary

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In XP you can right click on the network connection in the notification area (right side of taskbar) and choose "repair connection" which will do all the things we mentioned as typed commands in the "DOS" looking command window. It's time to have your ISP check or "ping" you to see if they can "see" you on their network.

Johanna

Motor Rider

Motor Rider

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Johanna,

I tried that and the message from windows was positive however, still no internet.

I did stumble onto something tho, I unplugged the phone line from the modem and the computer said that I was still connected and was counting time as tho I was. Strange.

Gary

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Are your ethernet drivers installed?