Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

What do i need?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi there. I have 3 desk top computers and i would like to do a wireless network but i don't know what i need.

the primary computer has a westell modem connected to the ethernet port. the other 2 computers have usb ports but know ethernet ports. I know i need a router but do i need usb adapters or pci adapters.

I'm a total novice when it comes to this so please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,490 posts

I know i need a router but do i need usb adapters or pci adapters.

Either USB or PCI adaptors will work. <_< PCI adapters require opening your case and installing in an open PCI slot. A USB adapter simply plugs into an open USB slot.

I usually use PCI adapters when the computer will be permanently connected to the network, and USB adapters when I want some more flexibility. They work equally as well.

• Pip
  • 6 posts
you gotta ask yourself if you feel ok with opening up your pc and installing new hardware.... cost is the same but install times pci 5-10 minutes +software.... usb 2-3 seconds+software