Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do i need?

• Please log in to reply

wace9178

wace9178

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi there. I have 3 desk top computers and i would like to do a wireless network but i don't know what i need.

the primary computer has a westell modem connected to the ethernet port. the other 2 computers have usb ports but know ethernet ports. I know i need a router but do i need usb adapters or pci adapters.

I'm a total novice when it comes to this so please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Thanks.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I know i need a router but do i need usb adapters or pci adapters.

Either USB or PCI adaptors will work. <_< PCI adapters require opening your case and installing in an open PCI slot. A USB adapter simply plugs into an open USB slot.

I usually use PCI adapters when the computer will be permanently connected to the network, and USB adapters when I want some more flexibility. They work equally as well.

Geek3point0

Geek3point0

• Pip
  • 6 posts
you gotta ask yourself if you feel ok with opening up your pc and installing new hardware.... cost is the same but install times pci 5-10 minutes +software.... usb 2-3 seconds+software