Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AntiVirus Gold with a Side of Viruses

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

economy1

economy1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I've read the "Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here" topic and I'm going home this evening to try to figure out which pieces will work but right now my computer will not start explorer.exe when I turn it on.
I have no desktop, no icons, no Start menu, no taskbar, and extremely limited functionality through Task Manager's "New Task" option.
Explorer.exe also will not load in Safe Mode.
My desktop has been taken over by a tiled blue-screen reporting the ill effects of Trojan-Spy.HTML.Smitfraud.c and I used the uninstaller to remove the AntiVirus Gold before I rebooted, so it's gone (I guess?).
I discovered that using Task Manager I could run certain programs (MS Antispyware) but others (Spybot S&D, McAfee Virus Scan) won't run and give me the same application error message (the difference being the program name).
I thought to try to do a repair installation of Windows XP Pro but I've got the original version on my restore disc and I've since upgraded to SP2, so it won't let me install an earlier version (thanks for that, Microsoft!).
I really thought I was protected from this kind of stuff but I guess I clicked when I should have clucked, and I don't feel so warm and cozy about clicking Google links.
I think I might be able to solve this with a little help but I need to get Explorer up and running first.

Any help?

Thanks!

mac

I didn't want to post this as a "reply" but here's what happened last night:
Cannot run:
Cleanup!
AdAware
CWShredder
Spybot S&D
McAfee

I also developed a new problem:
First, after the profile is loaded, I get the same "Explorer.EXE Aplication Error - Application failed to inialize properly (0xc0000005) Click OK to terminate" twice. But then I also get a "RUNDLL - Error loading newdev.dll invalid access to memory location" twice.

No updates to anything possible due to no internet connection being available (did run the winsock fix but didn't get me a connection).

Ran Ewido Security Suite (sans updates)
Ran TDS-3 - didn't find anything
Ran HJK - thank God that ran

Also ran a smitfraud.c reg patch which cleared my blue-screen desktop of the virus damage/security level language - now it's just a plain blue screen - ever so much better ;)

help?

thanks again

Thanks. :tazz:

Edited by economy1, 16 July 2005 - 05:18 PM.

Advertisements

economy1

economy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Nevermind.

A few days with a crippled machine and no help here, I ended up doing a repair reinstall of Windows. After the minor frustration of product activation, I've spent the day cleaning up a handful of viral vestiges using all the suggestions on the "Start Here" page.

My original defenses were good - MS AntiSpyware, Spybot TeaTimer, McAfee Virusscan, Spyware Blaster, XP SP2 with available updates. But, basically, I'd say I got slammed by a Downloader-ACZ, Antivirus Gold, Spysheriff, Puper and Smitfraud trojan/spyware/virus perfect storm and all of my defenses together couldn't completely stop the onslaught.

Maybe the only positive thing to come of this experience is my introduction to ewido Security Suite. I've already begun to recommend it to friends.

Moderator, you may close this thread when you read this.