Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperate Symantec GhostCast Help

• Please log in to reply

gbargsley

gbargsley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. This is my first question since joining, but it is probably the most import one for me ever.

I am working on a large scale rollout project involving Ghost Imaging of over 1000 CPU's. We are doing this is groups based on Site location.

We are using Symantec GhostCast as our method to do this. I have two images, because we have two hardware models, a Dell GX260 and a Compaq EVO.

Right now what we are doing is starting two Ghost Cast Server sessions, one for the Dell and one for the Compaq. We then boot the computers up using a bootable CD to connect to the correct Ghost Cast session.

The problem I am having is that we are trying to preserve two files from the existing computer and have them show up on the new image. In my initial testing in June, I was able to get this to work successfully, so I know it works, but I did not save the command line string that worked, and now I cannot figure it out and I am under an intense deadline.

The following are the settings we are using on the GhostCast Server session:

Session Name = EVO
Image File = C:\XPImages\EVOm.gho
Using Disk option
Command Line -
Disk No. = 1
Command Line = -clone,mode=restore,src=@mcEVO,dst=1 -sure -preservedest=1 -preserveifexists=1\fastlane\data\possql.mdf=\fastlane\data\possql.mdf,1\fastlane\data\possql.ldf=\fastlane\data\possql.ldf

As you can see the two files we are trying to preserve are C:\Fastlane\Data\POSSQL.MDF and POSSQL.LDF.

I am sure my problem is with the syntax of the -PreserveIfExists, but I cannot figure it out.

Any help on this would be so helpful you do not know.

Thanks in advance.

Garry B

Advertisements