Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WORST EVER

• Please log in to reply

cbm487

cbm487

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Ok so i have a 5 year old hp laptop that is probably the most infected piece of hardware ever. It got this way throguh years of adware and friends building up on it, mainly because i didnt know the dangers and had no protection. Now i tried getting online and coming to your site to download tha amazing programs to try and fix it but it will only stya on about 5 min with a program (IE) up and running before it shuts down. Now its basicly beyond repair so i jsut turned it off and left it sitting for about 3 months. Now i need a laptop but dont have the cash for a new one. So how can i completley wipe clean the system and clear the hard drive?

Advertisements

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
If you have your windows xp cd or whatever os cd. put it in the drive and start your computer. boot from the cd and proceed to install the os. when you go to install it on your partion, click delete partion. then install on the partion.

im pretty sure this will kill all your files and install a fresh copy of windows

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Be sure to back up your important software and files before reformatting.

Emery

cbm487

cbm487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Be sure to back up your important software and files before reformatting.

Emery

View Post

lol theres nothing even worth saving....umm about those disks i have 3 disks that say hp notebook pc system recovery on them labeled 1 of 3 2 of 3 and 3 of 3. Now i put in disk 1 and it says to clean system and re-install windows restart press f2 and enter bios, then launch from cd drive then exit bios, restart and wait about 30 minutes for the process to complete. I do all of this then it gets to this black screen with tons of crazy computer blah flying around and it takes me to a screen that says Wrong model notebook A:/ :tazz:

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
If you still have your XP disc, try reformatting the drive from there.

cbm487

cbm487

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

If you still have your XP disc, try reformatting the drive from there.

View Post

i dont it was a left over laptop from my fathers work and so i do not have the cd...this may sound incredibly dumb but it is flashing A:/ can i put any fance computer lingo in there to trick it into working..ill try anything. perhaps a magnet to the side?

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
The magnet trick won't work.