Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Incorrect monitor settings

• Please log in to reply

newtunz

newtunz

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Last week I wrote to you about a spyware problem that I was unable to resolve so I totally reformatted my PC. After the time intensive process of installing Windows XP, upon my first boot, my first order of operation was to correct my monitor settings....One, to increase my pixel size and two, so that I could incorporate the full size of my monitor. When I tried to resize my 15" monitor to 1024x768, it wouldn't allow the change which I presume was due to my screen not being adjusted to fit my monitor. My problem now is that I can't make any changes or adjust anything because I have a blank screen and when I try to reboot I briefly get a box that says "Out Of Range", gives me my H & V parameters, and asks "PC Display Settings Correct?", then fades back out to black. What can I do to rectify this problem?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You're missing the drivers for your display adapter, you might want to check the sound too, these are the most common ones to go missing. Try reinstallling the drivers with your disk and the Windows website. If that doesn't work look for the adapter in your computer and get the part number and go to the mfrs website. Your computer mfrs site may also post the drivers for that model. Since you haven't told us the model of computer or display adapter we can't help an further.

Edited by Tyger, 13 July 2005 - 07:26 AM.

newtunz

newtunz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My apologies, I have a Compaq Presario 7360. How do I go about reinstalling the drivers if I can't even get to a screen upon which to see what I'm doing. And yes, I hadn't noticed it yet, but you are correct, my sound is not working either. Upon the first boot, I was able to get my initial wallpaper, and from there is where I was trying to make my adjustments. Thanks

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Try booting up in safe mode, then change the video setting to a lower refresh rate. Most likely your current settings are too high for the monitor you are using. To do this, when you boot up wait for the white loading screen at the bottom and press F8. This will take you to a boot menu. Choose safe mode (not the one with networking support, just the regular one). Once it finishes booting and you are logged in, go to your Display Settings and select the Settings tab. Click the Advanced button near the bottom right and go to the Monitor tab on the window that opens. In the middle of the page, check the box that says "Hide modes that this monitor can't display" then choose the lowest number in the drop-down box above it. Restart your machine in normal mode and you should be able to see everything.

Once you try this, post here and we can help you get the newest drivers for your video card.

newtunz

newtunz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I did not get the white loading screen but was able to get into safe mode upon where I entered display settings, settings, advanced tab, monitor tab....but could not click the box you suggested as it was not available, under screen refresh rate the only option available is "Use hardware default setting"

newtunz

newtunz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
One more note, when I enter safe mode, th eonly icon displayed on my desktop is my recycle bin. Shouldn't I also see icons for My Computer, & My Documents? Is it at all possible that Windows XP did not finish its installation, and therefore had not completed installing my sound/video drivers?

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Sorry, I meant to say the white loading bar, not screen. My fault.

By default XP only shows the Recylce Bin on the Desktop, don't worry about that. Since you can get to Windows, it is finished installing.

Now that you are in safe mode, go to Start>Settings>Control Panel and open the System control panel. Go to the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. Once it opens, tell me if there are any items on the list that have a yellow ! or an red X next to them. They will be visible as soon as the window opens.

newtunz

newtunz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
According to the device manager everything is installed and working properly.

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Alright, do you see a row on the list that says Display Adapters?

If so, click the plus sign next to it and tell me what it has listed.

newtunz

newtunz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It says Trident Video Accelerator Blade 3D/MVP4

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Restart and boot up normally. Let me know if you can see anything now. If not, go to http://sloth.is-a-ge...pps/via8501.zip to download the drivers for your video card. You can install them while in safe mode, but don't do so until you try to see if the card works already.

newtunz

newtunz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, I can see everything fine now. But what I want to know is why can't I resize my screen to 1024x768, I had it set that way before I reinstalled my OS. And also, my audio is still not working.

newtunz

newtunz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Once again, my apology on the sound issue.....upon checking all my connections I found an input cable had been worked loose. Finally though, I still have the question of whether I can resize my screen.

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Did you download the file I linked to in my last post? If not, do so and install the drivers in the zip file then let me know what happens.

newtunz

newtunz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK, I copied the drivers I got to floppy, now how do I go about installing them?