Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smart security desktop problem [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

andrew1185uk

andrew1185uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
no i didnt do that, once i first realised it wasnt working, i logged on with the keyboard, switched off and then tried unplugging and replugging, ive tried 4 ports and three mouses. from control panel then mouse under hardware or devices theres nothing.

Advertisements

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Andrew,

I suggest you go to the control panel. Open the item Mouse. Go to the Harware tab and then press the Properties button. You can use the tab and the arrow keys to navigate.

Try and update the driver!!!!

Your HJT log looks clean !!! Are you having any problems, well other than the mouse one ???

andrew1185uk

andrew1185uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
the only problem is the danger spyware screen keeps coming up after every restart or when i turn pc on.

i cant get to properties, the button sort of just clicks but nothing happens. tried pushing "r" "space" and enter, the same with troubleshoot too, no response. could it be a bad download of one of the sp's.

i was googling earlier about it and came across something about sp1 can stop the usb from detecting on some pcs or something along those lines.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi Andrew,

Lets try this -

Open the Control panel and navigate to the item - System. Hit enter. Navigate to Hardware tab and then Device Manager. Navigate down to Mice and other pointing devices. Right click on the mouse installed (using the right click key next to crtl key on the right hand side of the keyboard) and uninstall the mouse.

Make sure the mouse is plugged in.

Reboot the PC.

Let it detect new hardware and install it. You may need the XP CD for this !!!

andrew1185uk

andrew1185uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
there is no mice or other portable devices folder. that might be the problem, i dont know how it has suddenly gone though.

andrew1185uk

andrew1185uk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
hi. mouse is working, everythings fine now apart from the danger spyware wallpaper reappearing after every restart, if i got no spyware on pc then i should be able to delete it and hopefully alls fine.

thanks again for your help, much appreciated. :tazz:

actually, just fogot, also still unable to right click on desktop or in folders.

Edited by andrew1185uk, 22 July 2005 - 09:30 AM.

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Hi

wondering how you coaxed the mouse to work !!!!

Let me check on the other issues and revert

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
  • First, download HSFix from here
  • After it is downloaded, create a new folder on your desktop called "HSFix" and extract all the files into the newly created folder.
  • Next, download CleanUp! Install it, but do not run it yet.
  • Boot into safe mode: Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.
  • Locate the HSFix folder on your desktop, open it, and double-click "hsfix.bat"
  • A log will be produced which you can close out of.
  • Run CleanUp! and let it clean your computer of temp files. Decline when it asks you to log off.
  • Restart your computer and post a new HijackThis log

tampabelle

tampabelle

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 6,363 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.