Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error when starting Computer

• Please log in to reply

emuss24

emuss24

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When i start my computer, i get an error automatically when it goes to the desktop, before clicking on anything it says "an internet error has occured' or whatever the message is and it asked me to close or details. I click close and the error reappears, click close and it reappears. I cannot go anywhere, cannot click on start button, internet, anything. No matter what i do, my computer is screwed. Can you help me at all?? I'm using Windows 98. HELP!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Inevitably, someone will ask you to click on the details button and post what you see. It may as well be me.

makai

worcesteradam

worcesteradam

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
try safe mode to begin with, i think it is hold down F8 during start up
google it to check

Edited by worcesteradam, 13 July 2005 - 10:39 AM.

emuss24

emuss24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The error message i am getting when i click details is, explorer caused an invalid page fault in module OLE32.DLL at 016f:7ff21a32

I also tried to load in safe mode but was getting the same explorer message and does not allow me to continue anything. Once again it blocks me from attempting to do anything.

Can anyone help, i am going to get a new computer but there is a lot of stuff I want to transfer to the new computer from this infected one.

HELP is appreciated

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Try this

Boot to your Win98 startup floppy (you may have to change your bios to boot to the floppy)

When you get to the a: prompt type c:

at c: type in scanreg /restore (note there is a space between the word scanreg and the forward slash)

Choose one of the restore dates. (try to pick the oldest date)

If you get a message that the restore was unsuccessful, try another date.

restart your computer.

emuss24

emuss24

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
without sounding too retarded, how do i boot to floppy. Thanks for the help, it was hard enough going to safe mode as it kept going to some PheonixBio thing.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

it was hard enough going to safe mode as it kept going to some PheonixBio thing.

To get into Safe mode, you have to repeatedly hit the F8 key before the windows screen comes up.

To get into the bios, you have to repeatedly hit the delete key before the windows screen comes up. You will know you're in the bios screen if you see Pheonix Bios.

Can you get into Safe mode? Your post is not clear on this.

without sounding too retarded, how do i boot to floppy

Do you have a Win98 start disk? It's a floppy disk, probably name Win98 Start disk.

makai