Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Majorly screwy sound recording...

• Please log in to reply

Sinfox

Sinfox

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I realize this is my first post here, so I'll try to be respectful, polite, and all that jazz. ;)

Anyway, I've been trying to get some voiceovers for flash cartoons recently, and for some reason my mike doesn't work on the specific PC I'm using. I've tried it on an older Windows 95 machine and it works fine. I've also checked all the internal volume options and made sure nothing was muted. Finally, I made sure it was on. ;) Normally, a mike should make sound when plugged in even if you aren't recording, through the speakers, but this gives me nothing on my "good" PC.

Just a few minutes ago, I was trying to record some speech with a CD going in Windows CD Player. To my surprise, Sound Recorder didn't pick up on the mike, but on the CD I was listening to! I don't know what I did to have that happen, but now when I try to record something, it seems to only capture what's being output, not input. :tazz:

Anybody care to clue me in on what's going on here, if you can? I'm A+ certified, and majorly annoyed at the fact we didn't even mention the microphone jack in the class. Thanks.

EDIT: By the way, I wasn't sure if this should be in the Hardware tab, but I figured it would go here because I know the mic works. I'm sure there's some software problem... I think. X_X

Edited by Sinfox, 13 July 2005 - 05:42 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What video/sound recording programs do you use?

Some programs have options to record from the mic or the speakers (ie camstudio). Perhaps some program has "stolen" your microphone and is set to record from the speakers.

Try checking any video capture and sound editing programs you have.

makai

Sinfox

Sinfox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did use one sound card capture program once (which does exactly what's happening now), but I uninstalled it. The idea occurred to me last night that it might have had something to do with it. I was just using standard Sound Recorder after that... Is it possible the program "crossed some wires" before I took it off? (I wish I could remember what it was, but I don't. :tazz: )

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I'm on a Win2k system right now. When I get home (about 1.5 hours) I'll check some things out. Hopefully something crops up for you before then.

makai

Sinfox

Sinfox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Makai, thanks a lot. I haven't found a solution yet on this end, though... :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
So sorry I couldn't get back to you in the time I stated. Something came up that was unavoidable.

I searched all over my machine, and I couldn't come up with anything either.

There must be some other program interfering with this. I'll keep looking.

Again, I apologize.

makai

Sinfox

Sinfox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey, no problem. Take your time. As of now, I'm recording on another machine and moving the sound files one by one on floppy ( ;) ), but it's still getting done. :tazz:

Sinfox

Sinfox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I think I hit gold on this one. I've never used GoldWave for recording before (just editing), but since it's so advanced, I tried it's troubleshooter. Here's my output:

Playback Devices:
Primary Sound Driver (selected)
Certified
Max rate: 48000Hz
SoundMAX Digital Audio
Driver: smwdm.sys
Certified

Record Devices:
Primary Sound Capture Driver
Device cannot be opened (may be in use).
SoundMAX Digital Audio (selected)
Device cannot be opened (may be in use).

Volume Devices:
SoundMAX Digital Audio
Output Levels:
Master Output: 64
Wave: 68
Input Levels:
No master input control.
CD Player: 98 (unselected)
Microphone: 98 (unselected)
Aux: 98 (unselected)
Video: 0 ! (unselected)
Line In: 42 (unselected)
Phone: 98 (unselected)
Mono Out: 96 (selected)
Wave Out Mix: 15 (unselected)

As you can see, it has "Mono Out" selected for the recording device, not microphone... hmm. If I could just change this, I think that might do it. Do you know how? ;)

---

EDIT: That did it! I went into the recording options in the volume control, and put a tick next to microphone. Now, I checked GoldWave again, and for anyone curious, here was the result:

Playback Devices:
Primary Sound Driver (selected)
Certified
SoundMAX Digital Audio
Certified

Record Devices:
Primary Sound Capture Driver
Certified
Formats:
44100Hz, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit
48000Hz, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit
88200Hz, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit
96000Hz, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit
SoundMAX Digital Audio (selected)
Certified
Formats:
44100Hz, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit
48000Hz, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit
88200Hz, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit
96000Hz, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit

Volume Devices:
SoundMAX Digital Audio
Output Levels:
Master Output: 64
Wave: 68
Input Levels:
No master input control.
CD Player: 98 (unselected)
Microphone: 98 (selected)
Aux: 98 (unselected)
Video: 0 ! (unselected)
Line In: 42 (unselected)
Phone: 98 (unselected)
Mono Out: 96 (unselected)
Wave Out Mix: 15 (unselected)

To sum it up, now the mic is the recording source. If anyone else is having the same problem, I hope this helps a lot. I'm still not getting the sound from my speakers when speaking into the microphone, but that may be just a difference between the machines.

Thanks for the help, makai. Put simply, problem solved. :tazz:

Edited by Sinfox, 15 July 2005 - 09:57 PM.