Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse Not Recognised + Norton Problems

• Please log in to reply

outland101

outland101

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I'm new here and a relative novice when it comes to PCs. Please bear with me. I'm not sure if this is the correct part of the forum. Please feel free to move this post if it should be elsewhere.

My Pc is all but locked up and the mouse doesn't work. Here's the background:

I recently was given a PC with Windows XP by a friend who's moved away. I've started it up a few times since getting it and each time I get a Norton Antivirus disabled pop up which won't go away.

I did a bit of checking at Norton tech support and it appears that Norton wasn't installed correctly - looks like some files are missing. I don't remember which and I I can't back get in to check to list them, sorry.

My plan was to uninstall Norton and install a new copy. However before I got that far I caused a more annoying problem..

My existing USB optical mouse worked with this machine without needing to install drivers. However last night it was getting sticky on screen so I tjought I'd install the driver from its CD. Bad move.

Since then each time I start up there is NO mouse cursor at all. I have also tried its PS2 mouse. Nothing, no cursor.

I'm having trouble find a way to fix this as the Noton block up won't go away and without a mouse I can't move it - everything I load opens behind it so I can see or get at buttons and hitting return etc doesn't do anything with the pop ups OK button.

I tried loading it in safe mode - it wouldn't load in safe mode. The PC boots fine into Xp up till the Norton pop up.

Is there ANY way I can fix this without re-installing windows from scratch?

That's my problem as best as I understand it. Sorry if I've missed anything. Please help, its driving me nuts! :tazz:

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Hello Outland101 and welcome to GTG!

right! there is a simple answer to your problem. You need to perform a system restore.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Restore

pick a date previous to the date of occurance of your problem. That should refer your settings back to that date.

Let me know of any problems, You won't lose any personal data but any programs which have installed after that date would be deleted.

Good luck! :tazz:

outland101

outland101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi thanks for the quick response and warm welcome! :tazz:

I'm not at home so I can't check the PC until tonight. I may be wrong on this, but it seemed like I could do very little from the keyboard yesterday. How do I get the start menu up from the keyboard. This Norton pop up and the 'system may be at risk' bubble in the system tray seem to want attention before they'll let me do anything..

Thanks again!

Edited by outland101, 14 July 2005 - 05:16 AM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
To open "Start Menu" from keyboard.
Use key with the windows icon.
If u have an older keyboard without the "Windows Key", use Ctrl+Esc.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You may want to also check bios and see if there is an entry for USB/PS2 mouse control.

makai

outland101

outland101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Darth Ash! I realised what it would be that about ten seconds after I posted that.. Doh. So the windows button should work even with these pain in the *** pop ups? Dumb question!

Second dumb question (I know what my lucks like): Is there another solution if tonight I find out system restore is not enabled or doesn't work. Sorry this PC wasn't set up by me and I hadn't had time to look at all its settings before it went on the fritz.

I must say the responses here are really quick!

Thanks guys!

Edited by outland101, 14 July 2005 - 05:37 AM.

outland101

outland101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You may want to also check bios and see if there is an entry for USB/PS2 mouse control.

makai

View Post

And what do I do if there is/isn't? Sorry I am really novice at bios stuff. I know I can get in there by using the F2 or 10, either that or sacrificing a sheep. :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well I'm suggesting this because you posted that your USB mouse was "getting sticky".

Motherboards have controllers that have two paths... one for USB and the other for PS2.

Since you state that you tried a PS2 mouse and it didn't work, it's possible that the bios is set for USB mouse. If your motherboard USB mouse controller is getting flaky, (sticky mouse symptom), then changing the bios to PS2 may allow you to use a PS2 mouse.

Make sense?

makai

outland101

outland101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes thanks. That makes sense. I'm on a bit of a learning curve! I'll let you all know how I get on with this all tonight!

outland101

outland101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello Outland101 and welcome to GTG!

right! there is a simple answer to your problem. You need to perform a system restore.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Restore

pick a date previous to the date of occurance of your problem. That should refer your settings back to that date.

Let me know of any problems, You won't lose any personal data but any programs which have installed after that date would be deleted.

Good luck!  :tazz:

View Post

Hi Samiko,
Thanks, I've tried your fix. Or rather I talked my brother through it on the phone (i'm at work). All is as you describe up until clicking on System Restore. However the Norton 'Antivirus Disabled' pop up covers most of the screen and can't be moved. How do you select a date using keyboard only and blind..? We've tried ALT + TAB to select the screen but that pop stays in front!

If its not possible to do a system restore is there another solution?

Thanks!

Edited: 20:21GMT 14/07/2005:

I tried this fix myself when I got home. Its tough getting system restore to work with just the keyboard, but work it did! Thanks Samiko!

;)

Edited by outland101, 14 July 2005 - 01:24 PM.