Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to open "Word" docs with new xp pro

• Please log in to reply

exile47834

exile47834

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Recently replaced my Wiondows 98se, with Windows XPpro, important data was saved but will not open in XP. Looking for solution

Advertisements

Metal God

Metal God

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
it just doesnt open or does it give some sort of error

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ok did you do a full Install of XP or did you put your Windows XP CD in and choose upgrade?

If you did the full install then have you actually re-installed MS Office/MS Word?

MS word does not come as standard in any version of windows. It is seperate program that you must install on it's own.

exile47834

exile47834

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did install full xp pro and ms word as part of "office". I receive error msgs:
-"the file is not a windows document"
-"word cannot open the document"

Also, I have tried the various "convert file" options that come up and receive "gobbledegook"

Metal God

Metal God

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
what do u mean as part of "office" i think u may need to reinstall the whole of ms office. cause as the kid said it doesnt come with xp anymore,

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Before you reinstall MS office, DELETE word and whatever else of MS office you have on there. NOW you can reinstall MS office.

Emery

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

cause as the kid said it doesnt come with xp anymore,

It never did.

Metal God

Metal God

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

It never did.

View Post

whatever

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Word never came with Windows XP.

The_KiD

The_KiD

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Ok quick test.

Click START>RUN and type in winword and then press enter.

Does Word start up?

Yes - good you have word and something else is the matter with these documents.

No - You need to install Word/MS Office again.

Let us know either way and then we can take it further.

exile47834

exile47834

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
To The Kid and others --- THANKS; for all the suggestions. Will take a while to sort.
However, as suggested by Kid, I did a "start, run, winword" and "Word" opened OK.

The mystery is deeper as I find the "saved" document disks work well in a second computer (wifes) with the old W98se.

I plan to try the "compatibility wizard" which I now discover is part of the XP system.

exile47834

exile47834

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Back again; I have tried all suggestions thus far and have gone to the "compatability wizard" to no avail.

Any more thoughts? This a'in't life-or death, but if I can open the saved files I'll save much typing and running (to wifes cptr)..

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
If you re-installed Word, the following probably won't work. But at this point I would give it a shot.

Close Word. Do a search for a file called normal.dot. Delete all instances of that file that you find. This is the template file for Word. Launch word. It will create a new template file automaticaly. Let us know if it works....

exile47834

exile47834

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It would appear that there is about 25% "Word" function now. I got 2 documents to open tho not in original format.
I may try the procedure again to be sure.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Word 2000 and later versions have a repair function in the help menu (acording to what I read). Might be worth a shot. Perhaps do the repair and then reset the template.....