Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee and Adware Personal SE won't live update?

• Please log in to reply

zao

zao

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey people, this is my very fist posting here! :tazz:

Anyway, I am having trouble with my girlfriends computer, McAfee Virus scan, and Adware Personal Se, will not live update? I unstalled and re-installed, like a billion times, and they still can not connect to the server to update the definations. I didn't know if there would be some kind of virus on their system, that is stoping it or if it has to do with the local lan connection?

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Besides getting rid of the Girlfriend (not the advised method) Try the following, download regcleaner from Here or find an other place where you can get regcleaner 4.3 (there are milions of places where you can it this was the first I got from typeing it in to google. Then install it. Now uninstall you programs, go to C:/program files and check that all the files were deleted if not delete them. then open the regcleaner and click on the software tab (this should be the one that it opens up on). tick every item that is related to the software you have just uninstalled (when uninstall the program should of removed these but ofen they do not get removed). Do not tick any thing else because it will stop thise programs working, if you only tick those that I said nothing bad will happen. ones this has been done reinstall the program they should work. The reason that I want you to do this is I think ther is something wrong with you regesty keys that are related to this program. Good luck!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
lets start with some basic questions. do you have any internet connectivity? can you connect to google for example.

are you running a firewall?

are you getting any kind of popup, ect when surfing the net?

zao

zao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok to answer the last set of questions, yes it does connect to the internet, and I am not really for sure on the firewall area, I just think it is windows version firewall from the service pack 2. They do not have a router, the modem connects directory into the computer, and when I am on her computer I have not really noticed any pop-ups at all. Now the only really thing that I find different was the subnet mask was 255.255.252.0. Now I am not much of a network guy, I am more then less a system builder and programmer. When it comes to network stuff I look like this guy ---> :tazz: LOL! I always thought that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0? But anyway, I think next time I am over there I might try to clean out the reg with regcleaner. I didn't ever thing about the registery being messed up a little.

Edited by zao, 15 July 2005 - 07:47 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
The 255.255.252.0 is wrong and 255.255.255.0 is right. Change it if you can if not write back and I will help you.

zao

zao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well next time that I am over there, I will change the subnet mask address and let you guys know. Which it might be next week durning the weekday. That is usually about the only time, when I can get ahold of it, without anyone really needing for a while. But I will let you guys know! :tazz:

zao

zao

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, I finally got a chance to change the submask net address to 255.255.255.0, well after I changed it, I lost the internet, it would not got anywhere on the net, and all messenger shut down. After all of that, I changed it back into DHCP mode, and everything turned back on, but the submask net was still 255.255.252.0 So I really don't know..... :tazz:

Edited by zao, 03 August 2005 - 03:25 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you tried to manually install the defs? chances our that after updating them manually they may start working.

also are you having issues with anything else?