Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu core/motherboard

• Please log in to reply

kasik

kasik

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, i bought an amd 64 3000+ VENICE core: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103537
and an MSI k8t neo2-F motherboard: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130469

Now, first I had problems with it not starting up(no power to any case fans or drives) That is now fixed. Cpu fan did nothing, that now works fine. But I have no video through my AGP gfx card. I tryed all the stickied items and nothing worked.

I did some research and found this:
http://www.msi.com.t....php?UID=amdcpu

It pretty much says their motherboards won't support Venice cores. I heard with a bios update could possibly fix that. Is there anyway for me to update the bios(not clear that will do nothing). I can go to a tech center(geek squad) and have them do it, if it can be done.

Here is the motherboard specs for reference: http://www.msi.com.t...ail.php?UID=608

Edit:// i forgot to mention i do not get any system beeps once so ever. figuring thats because CPU is doing nothing.

edit#2:// just found this http://www.msi.com.t...?UID=608&kind=1 saying basically that it has worked before. so now its probably my motherboard is fried?

Edited by kasik, 14 July 2005 - 06:53 PM.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi kasik-

that last link shows that those cpu's are supported with the latest BIOS, which is version 9.1 for your board.
check what version you have, but since that last version just came out 5 weeks ago, its extremely unlikely your board has the new version installed.
you will need to update the bios, which isnt terribly difficult. I have an MSI mobo, and know that their posted instructions on the procedure are very thorough.

you may need to create a win98 boot disk, if so you can get one here.

any questions let us know. if you are not comfortable doing the update yourself, you can take it to a shop, but like I said, the MSI instructions are well written and talk you through it.

kasik

kasik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
what exactly do i do to make a bootdisk. i see the link you gave me, but which one should i use.

Edited by kasik, 14 July 2005 - 08:36 PM.

dasickis

dasickis

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have the same problem it's something with the 3000+ Venice chips or something cuz some of my other friends have had the similar problems with the chips but we all have different mobos

kasik

kasik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok i took a look at the boot thing, and i dont get how my video is going to come up if I boot from a floppy, will it still not load my video card? i dont have a floppy to use(who would of figured lol) so ill give it a shot tomorrow morning.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
dont get what you said there, but the msi mobos come with live update that will automatically search and download the latest drivers when you tell it to, it wil then flash your bios for you to the latest version.

kasik

kasik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

dont get what you said there, but the msi mobos come with live update that will automatically search and download the latest drivers when you tell it to, it wil then flash your bios for you to the latest version.

View Post

i think you really need to start reading. I HAVE NO VIDEO, so how am I supposed to use a live update to update bios, if I can't install it, since I can't see anything.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You didnt mention how you got on with the boot disk i only put it in as you hadnt said how it worked. Who doesnt have a floppy dont you know all problems can be fixed with a floppy disk and a google search.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the boot disk will load very basic video drivers. you are operating in DOS with the boot disk boot up. you will see fine. its just like when you first start your machine, how you see the start up messages, etc before windows starts loading.
thanx warrior, I forgot about the MSI liveupdate! use that to update the drivers, BIOS, etc.

geeknik

geeknik

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the exact same problem. Not sure what to do to fix this.

I have AMD 3000+ with K8T Neo2 recently returned from RMA to MSI (assumed to be working fine). I tried installing this same mobo in another PC with different CPU and Different Ram with NO VIDEO. RMA'd it and got it back a couple of weeks ago. when I tried it again tonight I have the same problem.

I dont have a way to update the BIOS because I too get NO VIDEO...what can I do?

fugufish

fugufish

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am having the exact same problem.  Not sure what to do to fix this.

I have AMD 3000+ with K8T Neo2 recently returned from RMA to MSI (assumed to be working fine).  I tried installing this same mobo in another PC with different CPU and Different Ram with NO VIDEO.  RMA'd it and got it back a couple of weeks ago.  when I tried it again tonight I have the same problem.

I dont have a way to update the BIOS because I too get NO VIDEO...what can I do?

View Post

I know this is an old thread and you guys probably already resolved your issues.
I just built a system yesterday using an MSI K8T Neo2 F and a Venice core 3000+ processor. Same thing, put it all together, powered it up and no video, got 3 long beeps. The diagnostic lights showed 1 green, and 2,3,4 were red. "Chipset initialization" according to the manual.

Long story short, it's the new memory controller on the Venice. Put 1 stick of memory in slot 3. This should allow you to boot normally and flash to BIOS 9.1. After that everything should be fine.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah good fix there, thanks for posting it up.