Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Celeron doesn't work...

• Please log in to reply

dnanninga

dnanninga

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for reading...

I am helping my mom switch from a PIII (approx 550 MHz) to a slightly faster Celeron (1.2GHz). I installed the CPU and nothing happens on the screen. I switched back to the PIII and it works fine. I am pretty sure I have the new one snapped in tight enough.

Could this be a bad CPU? I did notice that the PIII was a 1.6V while the Celeron was a 1.5V. I don't know what else to do. I don't think it is the video card. Also, I can't find the jumper for the motherboard.

Any ideas?? Thanks so much for your replies...

Edited by dnanninga, 15 July 2005 - 09:51 PM.

Advertisements

The_Sloth

The_Sloth

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Most motherboards will only accept one type of processor. Since that motherboard works fine with the PIII, it's safe to say that the Celeron won't work on it. The only solution is to buy a motherboard that can use a Celeron chipset. Make sure you get one that your Celeron will fit on.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Most P2 & P3 motherboards will support Celerons. However, they will only support certain ones. I am assuming this is a slot 1 motherboard, right? If so, then its a fairly early P3 board.

I would be surprised if the board is capable of supporting speeds of 1.2GHz.
Is the celeron a fc-pga (socket 370) cpu with an adapter to slot 1?
Also, what have you set the FSB to?

dnanninga

dnanninga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's a socket 370 processor.

I bought a 550MHz P3 today and it acts like it starts to boot normally except there is nothing on the monitor. I think the motherboard has an integrated video card because it looks like a little box instead of a card.

This is my mom's comp and it's the infamous HP 8655C. I hate it - it's a dinosaur, but she doesn't have any money to spend on upgrading too much...

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You probably have the wrong type processor.

Take a look on the box, does it say FC-PGA or FC-PGA-2?

If it says FC-PGA-2, then even the packaging on the chip itself looks different. If it looks different than the original processor, then you have the wrong type chip.

BUT... I'm a bit confused here... first you say this...

I am helping my mom switch from a PIII (approx 550 MHz) to a slightly faster Celeron (1.2GHz)

then you say this...

I bought a 550MHz P3 today

I don't get it???

What is it you're actually trying to do?

makai

dnanninga

dnanninga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried the Celeron and it clearly did not work. I have more or less given up on that CPU. I have since purchased a 550MHz P3 socket 370 with a 100MHz FSB that looks identical to the original. Is there a place in the BIOS settings where I must change the motherboard to read the 100MHz FSB rather than the original 133MHz FSB?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It depends on the motherboard and bios. Check the computer documentation about this and see if it's specified. Some older motherboards required you use a jumper on the motherboard itself to set the FSB.

makai

Edited by makai, 17 July 2005 - 01:30 PM.