Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would disagree there samsung and hitachi have always been good and so have maxtor and seagate, western digital has had its biggest success with the raptors but the fad is over now with the cheaper and sometimes faster competing 10 and 15k drives. You dont have to solder on the CPU unless you want to pretend you own a dell, lol.
Can you put the names of the hardware in nad not links that dont show up as links.
And the motherboard is really good really easy to set up. Comes with the SATA drivers on floppies as well for you to load in when you install your SATA drive. I actually feel kind of guilty, my SATA drive installed really really easy, probably better than IDE, some people seem to have so much trouble with it.

Edited by warriorscot, 17 July 2005 - 08:04 AM.

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Ok re did my list (things that i m keeping the same will not be post again)

Mother Board: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130484

Video Card: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130214

Ram:  http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145440

Hard Drive:  http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822144183

Thanks for the help guys Let me know what needs to be changed and BTW I heard from someone that I would have to soder the Processor to the Motherboard is this true?

View Post

fixed there links :tazz:

Jared

Jared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok so I m going to look for a new HDD and a new CPU will get back when i found them....Anything else that I may need to change? BTW when installing the CPU do i just snap it in or what?

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Like I said, there is a lever on the mobo that lifts to unlock the CPU socket, you just match up the holes on the socket and CPU, and it should slide right into the board. Then you just push the lever back into position on the mobo and it locks the CPU in place.

Of course, you can't forget to apply the thermal paste (I reccommend Arctic Silver 5) and heatsink/cooler. If you try to start it up without those, it's likely it will fry within seconds of overheating.

Refer to the link I posted earlier for a complete tutorial that you will want to read through before building.

And be careful of static, I know a friend that fried his $300 CPU accidently becuase he didn't take static precautions. (You can buy an anti static wrist strap for about $5. Or touch an unpainted metal surface of your case frequently to discharge buildups.)

Jared

Jared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the replays and help...Looked for new HDD i won't be doing hardcore gaming (really like one game) So These are to Processor and the HDD that i picked:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822135106
^^HDD

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103535
^^The CPU

Hope they are good Thanks alot guys....BTW how would i fix the linkes if they are messed up (sorry that someone else had to fix em)

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
That's a fine processor and HDD. Though it is a little small, as long as you don't plan on putting too much stuff on it you should be fine.

BTW how would i fix the linkes if they are messed up (sorry that someone else had to fix em)

View Post

When you posted the links you didn't leave a space after the ":" so it registered it all as one word instead of reading the url tags and automatically linking them. It's no problem really. OneCool has too much time on his hands :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
160gig and 200gig drives are the best value for money.

Jared

Jared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
So now on to my last question..I got a HDD in this computer could I take it out hook it up to The one I am going to build and transfer all the data? Like the OS and what not?

Thanks again guys :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well everyone has certainly given you alot of very good advice on your new build and I hate to butt in but I can answer your last question.

No you cannot transfer the OS to the new system it will cause problems, you need a fresh copy of windows installed. I suggest you install windows on the new drive then install all the mobo drivers and drivers for cards ect. then get a virus scan running and get all the MS updates.

Then when the new system is up and running stable install the old drive as a slave or master if its the only drive on the ide cable and get your data.

Rick

Jared

Jared

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for all the help I really learned alot...Will tell ya how the new Computer comes out when I build it :tazz: BTW is it better if I get XP Pro or Home? I got home on this computer...Thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Good luck, any problems just post it up.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Pro is the better version but it is also more expensive. Home works just fine though.

I'm not sure if Microsoft is still doing free upgrades from Pro clients to Win x64. You might want to check into that if you get Pro as the 64 bit version is WAY faster than regular XP. The only downside is that most programs are still only available in 32 bit. Which can make for some conflicting software.

Those problems should be cleared up in the future however.