Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Probable hard drive problems

• Please log in to reply

goeagles99

goeagles99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Dim. 4100 running ME. About 3-4 weeks ago it started acting funny. The computer is almost 4 years old, but had no problems until that time. What it did was being freezing up. This mainly happened if I listened to a song or watched a video, whether on the net or on my PC. It also would freeze up if I was doing "too much" at once.

I realized there was a problem, but put off dealing with it since I was in the process of moving. I brought the PC to my new place and it was working, but still with problems. I left it on and went out one afternoon. I came home and it had a black screen. No error message. Nothing. I tried to restart it. It just continually made this odd noise, as though it was trying to start, but couldn't. I tried starting it the next day. No noise, but it flashed a message to me "Invalid boot diskette".

I put in a Bootdisk and can get it to the point where it gives me 4 options. The first one is "Help". The next two involve CD-Rom and the final one is "Minimal".

I've tried #4, but simply get an A:\>. Can't do anything else.

I tried #1 tonight. I ran "scandisk /all". It passed. Next it told me to run "D:\setup.exe". I inserted the WinME CD and did that. Now it tells me:

Scanning system registry...
Cannot create a temporary directory.
If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up Windows.

I did finally get a C:\>.

Now, I bought a new PC this week. My goal at this point is to recover any files possible off the old PC. I'd love to get it running again, but if the hard drive is bad and that's not possible, so be it. I have backups on a lot of my files, but would love to transfer everything over from the old PC. I have a cord connecting the two so that I can use the Direct Cord Method of transferring files.

What do I need to do to the old computer at this point? Can I transfer files out of DOS? Do I need to fdisk or use some program like Partition Magic? Should I just reinstall WinME?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You could remove the hard drive from the old computer and put it in the new one as a slave. You must ensure to change the jumper on the old hard drive to the slave postition.

If you do not correctly set the jumper on the old hard drive, your new computer may not boot.

After you get everything back up running, just navigate the old drive and move your data.

makai

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Now what's wrong with the reply count on this thread? :tazz:

edited: Ok, that fixed it!

makai

Edited by makai, 15 July 2005 - 02:02 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When in doubt clean the dust off the CPU cooler and check the fan operation.