Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winfixer 2005 installer

• Please log in to reply

lje15

lje15

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Running windows2000 on my computer at work. Tried to download winfixer 2005. Now I cannot stop the installer from running even though no files are being downloaded. Tried ewido security suite and various other programs. When I reboot, the installer is still there and running.....Please Help!! Thanks.

Larry

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Boot into safe mode and uninstall from Add/Remove in the Control Panel. I have no experience with this program, but a quick Google search indicates it doesn't do anything you can't do from within Windows, and it costs money to keep it (shareware). If you can't get rid of it in Add/Remove, use MoveOnBoot
http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html
and get it gone.

Johanna

lje15

lje15

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, Johanna. BTW ever hear of ....... naplrltb.exe......ewido shows it in startup programs along with a couple of other weird looking exe's.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You can use msconfig or Mike Lin's StartupCPL to edit your start menu to your preferences. Are you sure you typed the name of that exe right? If you suspect malware, here is a good place to get started:
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

What else does Ewido have to say?

Johanna

lje15

lje15

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Johanna,

Sorry for the late reply. I believe I the problem is solved. Thanks for the help.

Larry

saltfever

saltfever

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I also suffered the Winfixer 2005 Installer debacle for about 4 days. AFter calling Microsoft tech help for 75 mins,with no answers. Except to email WInfixer Company. Course no address or tel number,just email link. I simply did a system restore to a week prioerwhen all was well. Prob is solved, No more annoying Winfixer desktop or task bar icons. Plus no more Winfixer trying to load!! Hope this helps someone!BTW try the new Microsoft Anti Spyware Beta 1 free download. This thing is great !!

KerryWatson

KerryWatson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I didn't download WinFixer 2005, I believe it secretly came in on a birthday card a friend gave me and I've been trying to get rid of it ever since. It claims to remove registry problems, takes over my screen and all kinds of pop ups appear from the ABI Network and a program called Free Phone pops up more windows.

I have removed it 5 times but do suspect the file naplrltb.exe and am going to remove it next. I have used Add & Remove Programs even in Safe mode but it re-downloads itself and takes over again.

Spybot Search & Destroy does not find this program. The only reference I have found to WinFixer 2005 being malware is a consumer post on Download.com saying "DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS PROGRAM!! IT'S MALWARE!!!!!!!"

I will post an update if I am able to get rid of it.

Kerry

twistedxmindz

twistedxmindz

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i have that too..well its a pop up that has a YES or NO question..about getting winfixer 2005. i think it's from my downloading..can't seem to get rid of it..any ideas ? driving me crazy. i think it installed other things too like the columb dialer..or something.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.