Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN Viruses And Dr Watson Creating PROBLEMS!

• Please log in to reply

kamran002

kamran002

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I'm in a mere state of desperation right now. Three to four days back, I got cable internet because of it's better speed than dial up. However, in my locality, I've heard they use some kind of a LAN system due to which other users in my sector can easily access other users computers. Not being a big techie, I've no skills of stopping such hacking and loads of users on the LAN are constantly sending viruses to other computers, including mine.
The day I put cable internet, the next I had it given for repairment because of some Dr Watson virus. This folder, Dr Watson, was constantly increasing in size until it had reached 5 GB! And my computer was giving me threats of deleteing programs, etc. Now I don't know if Dr Watson is a virus or some computer file, but it sure heck is evil. Because yesterday again it has come again and it's constantly increasing in size.
I have sygate installed and running everytime I'm on cable internet and also the windows firewall. I've tried all ways of not allowing access to other users to my computer but nothing is helping. Can you please help me remove whatever this virus is or why this Dr Watson folder is constantly increasing in size? And How can I keep my computer safe within a LAN? Or should I just switch back to dial up? :tazz: PLEASE HELP ASAP!!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
From MS:
Dr. Watson for Windows is a program error debugger that gathers information about your computer when an error (or user-mode fault) occurs with a program. Technical support groups can use the information that Dr. Watson obtains and logs to diagnose a program error. When an error is detected, Dr. Watson creates a text file (Drwtsn32.log) that can be delivered to support personnel by the method they prefer. You also have the option of creating a crash dump file, which is a binary file that a programmer can load into a debugger.

From Symantec:
http://securityrespo...a/drwatson.html

Note: these are two different things! The MS Dr. Watson is legitimate. However, it should not be 5 gigs in size!

Cable internet can be "safe" if you are running a reputable firewall and letting it update. I suggest you visit the malware forum and post a log. The experts there will determine if you have anything to worry about.

Johanna