Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen At Startup

• Please log in to reply

vertigosambition

vertigosambition

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I recently got a new Gateway 7330GZ laptop and it was running fine. I usually shut off my computer when I go to sleep (i'm not one of those people who always leave there computer on is what i'm saying). Lately when I go to turn on my laptop in the morning it boots up but dosent let me go to the logon menu insted the screen goes black and stays black until I manually shut of the power and do it again. Actually I have to manually restart about 2 times before the computer gives me the error screen or the screen where it says "Were sorry for the inconvience windows did not start successfully choose one of the following... safe mode, last known configuration, start windows normally etc. So I chose start windows norally and the same thing happened again. Dont get me wrong I dont load my computer with a lot of crap and havent done anthing to the hardware in the computer. Anyways so when the message comes back up I choose Last known configuration and it finally takes me to the logon menu. This problem started about two days ago and I dont know what to do. I'm thinking it might have something to do with my software on the computer (cyber scrub, pcbug doctor, norton, ad aware, third party downloads such as bearshare and limewire) but i'm not sure. I'm not an advanced user with Windows so I hope someone can help. Thanks

-Vertigo

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Have you tried a System restore?

Did it come with recovery disks?

If you can get to Windows, you might want to do a System recovery. The only problem with that is ... when to recover to. If you can determine, by date, when your problem first began, you can choose a date prior to that, and hopefully whatever was causing your problem will be overwritten.

Then I would start doing all the maintenance stuff like chkdsk, virus scan, anti-spyware scans, etc.

Worse come to worse, you can always use your recovery disks... if you have them.

makai

vertigosambition

vertigosambition

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice the only problem when i run cyber scrub it stops those features.... but i'll do more checks and run more programs.

Thanks

-Vertigo

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You could also try a System Restore in Safe mode.

To get into Safe mode... repeatedly hit the F8 key as your computer is starting up... it must be done before the windows log on screen.

makai

SwampGator

SwampGator

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
sounds like a corrupt driver. Have you updated anything recently?