Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Boot Failure.... :(

• Please log in to reply

SwiftIkarus

SwiftIkarus

• Pip
  • 7 posts
all of a sudden, one day when i go to turn on the computer, i get this msg after it goes through all its scanning and whatnot, and inital startup testings..

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

it wont go into windows, and it seems as if it says i have no harddrives? which it should read that i have 2 hard drives.. When it does the check for harddrives in the beginning, it says NONE after primary and slave.... i tried a boot disk, and it just brings to the A:\ prompt and that does no good, i try to swtich to C: or D: and it says invalid drive... what should I do.. ?? thanks in advance!!!

Carl

Advertisements

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Hi SwiftIkarus. Welcome to geekstogo.

Please include any more information you can add. Any changes you made before this happened. Please await further instructions on this.

SwiftIkarus

SwiftIkarus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
what kind of more info do you need?? cuz i didnt change anything, the last time i took apart the computer was to put new ram in it and that was a year ago...... i just happened out of no where.. I HATE COMPUTERs!! ha...

Carl

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Maybe IDE controller is bad...Or needs new driver. Try going into bios and checking your Primary IDE and Primary IDE Slave settings. I'd try do just set Primary with no slave to see if it will recognize one hd.

-=jonnyrotten=-

SwiftIkarus

SwiftIkarus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok where do i actually assign that, after I hit DEL key to get in there...?? in the autoassign test thing?? cuz i went there, and it doesnt seem to do anything... but to sayt again.. right before where it should go into windows... the last listing of info where it lists info on the A drive, B drive, Prim Master Disk, Pri Slave, Sec Master, Sec Master disk, display type, etc..... written afdter the Prim master disk and Sec master disk.. it says NONE, does that mean it thinks i have no harddrives at all???

Carl

SwiftIkarus

SwiftIkarus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
dont know what else to do... proly gonna have a computer pro look at it i think... hmmmm

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds like that hard drive probably went to the big computer system in the sky (it's dead). <_<

SwiftIkarus

SwiftIkarus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
[bleep] both of them simultaneously out of no where with no warning?? i dont get that... hmmmmm

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If one dies, it can interupt the IDE channel it's attached to. Disconnect them one at a time, and the other should appear again.

SwiftIkarus

SwiftIkarus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

If one dies, it can interupt the IDE channel it's attached to. Disconnect them one at a time, and the other should appear again.

View Post

wow thanks!! i disconnected the primary, and it read the primary as MAXTOR like it should and loaded up...... so i guess the secondary is dead.. which was more important to me though... ah well... i guess i gotta mess with... thanks though!!!

SwiftIkarus

SwiftIkarus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok... i did that, disconnected the sec and got in.. then shut down, and put the plug back in to the secondary. and it goes into windows fine with no errors but did not read that i had a secondary hardrive... does that mean its dead or do i just have to set it up again?? like that partition thing, or just let the computer know somehow that there is a 2nd harddrive??

Carl