Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Hard Drive wont register

• Please log in to reply

schillyinphilly

schillyinphilly

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I had a hard drive go bad on me so I got a new one and havent gotten it up to speed yet. I'm trying to install Windows XP onto it and after it's initial load, it says:
"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.".
Then after I reboot, I try to run "fdisk" and a message comes up that says:
"No Fixed Disks Present"
I've been trying to get this laptop up and running for 3 months now and it's really starting to get to me. I would really apreciate some help with this.

Advertisements

umpire

umpire

• Pip
  • 7 posts
did you inter your laptop's "setup" or "bios" and see if it registers?

schillyinphilly

schillyinphilly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
setup? bios? i have no computer skills at all when it comes to internal affairs. if you mean when i try to setup windows, i get that message i already posted. bios, i dont know what that is.