Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound and audio codecs

• Please log in to reply

yafuetodo

yafuetodo

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
so iīve been having problems with my audio lately... sound plays through the speakers, but it clicks and distorts...

i have a few guesses, and wanted to double check with youse guys first...

1. iīve installed quite a few codecs lately and i fear that i might have caused some sort of internal conflict

2. iīve installed cakewalk recently and am afraid my computer is not up to par and thus also caused conflict...

3. i have a toshiba satellite a75 s206 and itīs all toshibaīs fault...

whoever can help iīd very much appreciate it...

thanx!

jorge

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Hi there,

from what I could find on that model of laptop, it should be up to the task...what version of cakewalk are you running? I would like to know whats its recommended specs are.

biggest question is what sound card are you using? if the onboard sound of the pc, you might be asking a lot from it. especially if trying to do multitracking, etc.

is the popping and distortion happening all the time, or only when trying to do large files? only on cakewalk or everything? only on playback, or is it recording the noise?

it is certainly possible that there is a problem with one or more of the codecs you have installed recently.

provide some more info please, and we can try to sort this out!

yafuetodo

yafuetodo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
hey audioboy...

thanx for the quick reply...

my problems are not specifically when using cakewalk, as a matter of fact since i am not using it much these days and because of the problems iīve been having i decided to uninstall it...

my problem is with normal audio performance... as in playing music, watching videos, etc... the popping happens all the time sound plays... distortion too... and also there are some level variations (high-lows wise) that are audible too, they happen pretty abrubtly, as in during parts of songs...

my soundcard is the one that came along with the pc... itīs a realtek ac97...

i think it has something to do with the codecs iīve installed... so i thought about unsinstalling these, but i canīt because 1) i donīt know how. 2) i donīt know which codecs are the ones that came standard and which the ones i downloaded...

hereīs a list of all the codecs on my pc...

Audio:
IMA ADPCM Audio CODEC
Microsoft ADPCM Audio CODEC
Microsoft CCITT G.711 Audio CODEC
Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC
DSP Group TrueSpeech™ Audio CODED
msg723.acm
Windows Media Audio
Sipro Lab Telecom Audio Codec
Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec
Indeo audio software
Microsoft PCM Converter

Video:
Cinepak Coded by Radius Inc.
DivX 5.2 Codec
Indeo coded by Intel
Indeo video 5.10
ir41_32.ax
iyuv_32.dll
Microsoft RLE Codec
Microsoft Video 1
msh261.drv
msh263.drv
mysuv.dll
tsbyuv.dll

hopes this can help...

again, thanx a lot

jorge

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
a couple thoughts come to mind. first, in sound/audio device properties, is the realtek set as the preffered device, and have you checked the "use only preffered devices" box?

second, have you tried updating to the latest realtek drivers from them? you could also try the ones windows update will provide (under optional device drivers), but that can be real hit-or-miss. better to go to the actual source for drivers.

if none of that works, you might try just uninstalling and reinstalling the realtek device. go to add/remove devices, uninstall the sound card. reboot, windows will automatically detect it and reinstall.

I am not wanting to go removing codecs I dont recognize, since they could be used by divx or other programs you have installed.
give those a try, post back with how it goes!

yafuetodo

yafuetodo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
hey again...

first... the realtek was set as the preferred device... no change there...

second... the "use only preffered devices" was not checked... i checked it as per your suggestion... however no change to the audio problem... not even after the complimentary restart...

third... all the drivers were up to date... no change there...

fourth... i uninstalled the soundcard... restarted it, the pc recognized a new hardware, so i popped the drivers cd that came with the pc so that i could reinstall it... no dice... it didnīt find the necessary drivers...

fifth... after a brief panic i decided to do a system restore of my system to undo the uninstalling of the soundcard... i went ahead and chose a date two months ago from when i didnīt have any of these audio problems to begin with... much to my surprise and delight this last step was the one that worked...

any clues? ideas?... in any case thanks for your help... the problem is solved and there is no clipping, distortion or volume variations...

thanx again

jorge

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
wow, so it couldnt do th automatic reinstall, thats odd. Im glad you remembered the system restore trick, I usually space and forget that one myself (*slaps forehead* oh yeah!)

as you may guess, Im not a big fan of the onboard sound, I have seen so many problems around them. they can do the job, but even a cheap old soundblaster behaves better, sounds better, etc.

glad to hear you got things going again!

yafuetodo

yafuetodo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
thanx for your help, now i have a different question... hope itīs ok...

this question is a bit offtopic, so i dunno if this is the proper forum to deal with it, in any case i can see that you know a little bit about home recording...

i donīt have any midi on my computer, but i am very interested in incorporating it into my recording...

i have a room in my basement with drums, amps, and a p.a.... i also have a multitrack mixer... it is a normal mixer, no fancy usb connections, or internal hdīs...

hereīs the question... iīve recently heard about these usb-to-audio devices where you can hookup your pc to analog recording equipment... what is your experience with /opinion of these?

is my laptop up to par for the job?... should i worry about the laptop being in the same room as all this loud and vibrating equipment?

what other factors about pc-aided homerecording in general should i take in consideration?

thank you very much...

jorge

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I havent worked with those particular devices much (when I do recording to a PC, its to a desktop), but know people who have. they work great, depending on the gear of course. like anything else, some stuff is junk, some is good at a good price, some is way overpriced but works really well (read that as anything labeled "digi")

these things work best on USB 2.0, with the much higher bandwidth it provides. even better is firewire- lots of great gear using that interface. if you want more info on that, ask.

a quick glance turned up this, which is a good box at a good price. has proffesional I/O, midi, etc.
there are also boxes available using rca I/O if you need that. just click the usb page of the recording section to see it all.

no real worries about the machine being in the room, unless you have the bass turned up so loud it could vibrate the laptop off the table!

volumes down, keep instruments separated if possible (to avoid bleed on tracks), etc. listen to the results on many different speakers, to get an idea of how it really sounds, not just how it sounds in one room (which may have strange effects on the balance of the sound)
a prime example, a room can have a standing wave problem for the bass, so you turn it up so it sounds right in there. listen to the tracks on another stereo, and the bass is way too heavy. hope that gives you an idea of what I mean.

adammj420

adammj420

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
http://72.14.207.104... gsm 6.10&hl=en

codecs pack