Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vertical turquoise lines on monitor

• Please log in to reply

ultimates

ultimates

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, first post, usually just search for other peoples posts and fix problems from there, but this time no one has the same problem. I was playing kotr and all of a sudden the graphics go wacky. I alt-tabbed out and noticed the monitor had vertical turquoise lines spaced apart the monitor. I don't think its a video card problem because then it should have happened before. I alt-tabbed a lot when playing the game, so i think that might have some affect.

thx for ne help

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I don't think its a video card problem because then it should have happened before.

It could very well be a video card problem... or a driver problem.

You don't state (specifically) if you see these lines on your computer at all times. Does it only happen during the game?

What happens if you start in safe mode, are the lines still there?

makai

ultimates

ultimates

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi makai, thx for replying so fast. the lines appear at all times, even in safe mode. i just d/led the driver for the monitor, but nothing changed. thx again for the help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried removing your card and reseating it, also if you have onboard gfx disable it. The only time that has happened to me was when i pushed an overclock on a card to far.

ultimates

ultimates

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I reseated the vid card, but nothing changed. i dont know how to disable the onboard gfx. thx

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, if you reseated the card, updated the driver, it happens in normal and safe mode, then the only other thing I can think of is reseat the ram or... swap the monitor.

The fact that it happens in safe mode means it's probably a hardware problem. I doubt very much that the default windows drivers are corrupt. Try swapping the monitor if you have one.

makai

ultimates

ultimates

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I swapped the monitor. Nothing changed. So i pretty much have to change my vid card huh? [bleep]. This is my brothers comp. my comp had an asus geforce4 then it overheated. now i gotta buy two vid cards. alright thx neways tho. i appreciate ur help.