Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver Problems with ME

• Please log in to reply

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm trying to help my pastor with one of the church's computers and I don't have much experience with ME. The computer was already taken to a shop to be repaired when the CD-ROM and CD-RW drives stopped working. The shop said they fixed the drives and recommended a frexh install of ME. However, right after the computers came back from the shop both CD drives and the floppy stopped working. One of the CD drives works a little, but when a disk is placed in it the disk doesn't show up in explorer, which only has one drive listed. I'm assuming the shop tried reinstalling the drivers, which probably made the drives work short term. I'm just wondering what is eating drivers in ME. Also, I have to back up certain files on the computer before attempting to mess with the OS per my pastor's instructions. Honestly I'm stumped on this one, any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Shaggy

Shaggy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I would look to see if the drive is showing up in the Device Manager. If it is, try removing it from the Device Manager and reboot to let it be redetected and see if that improves anything. If it is not listed, it's possibly a hardware issue going anywhere from the drive itself to the cable to the motherboard. Try replacing the ribbon cable that connects the drive to the motherboard and while you're at it verify that there are no broken or bent pins on either the drive or the motherboard.

When it was in the shop, did they tell you what they did to resolve it the first time? Also, why did they recommend a fresh install of ME? Are there other problems with this PC?

Edited by Shaggy, 16 July 2005 - 04:36 AM.

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I looked in device manager and only one of the CD drives was showing up so I erased it and rebooted and it went right back to the way it was. The shop inspected the PC for physical damage, so that rules that out. So I don't know what's happening here. Any other thoughts?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I can think of several possibilites, the first being that you may need to update the chipset drivers. Why don't you install the Belarc Advisor, the link is on the Software forum, and post the report here as an attachment. Then we can give you more specific advice.

By the way, have you gone to the Microsoft Update site and fully updated the computer yet?

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

Mega Robo-Dino-Ninja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I managed to find one of the problems with the computer, which was that the people at my shop are totally stupid. At first I didn't bother to really check the connections in the computer, but I got curious and it turns out the shop left a whole bunch of stuff unplugged in the computer. Also it seems that the shop that built the computer left both CD drives as master. It seems like the computer should work well as soon as I set one drive to slave, if I can remember how to do that.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Usually the jumper setting will be on the drive in some form, but you may have to remove it to see them. Yeah, it didn't sound like the shop people knew what they were doing.