Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound after reinstalling windows xp

• Please log in to reply

shasha

shasha

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
:help: :help: :help:

Audio used to work just fine till I reinstalled Windows XP Professional Sp 1. I tried playing my CDs but all I got was a "cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding" message. Error center says, "There is no sound card. You either do not have a sound card installed on your computer or it is not functioning properly. If you do not have a sound card installed, you must install one before you can listen to audio in a digital media file. If you do have a sound card installed, refer to its documentation to troubleshoot the problem. Error ID = 0x80040256."

I also tried playing a VCD; I can watch the video, but there’s still no sound.

I then checked "sounds and audio devices" in control panel, but it says "no audio device". I cannot adjust the volume as well as everything's greyed out.

I went to the device manager and this is what I found:

1. audio codecs
2. legacy audio drivers
3. legacy video capture devices
4. media control devices
5. standard game port
6. video codecs

All of these devices are working properly.

But under "other devices" [also on device manager], there's both a question mark and an exclamation point on "multimedia audio controller". I checked the properties and it says, "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." So I tried reinstalling the driver to no avail; wizard couldn't find the necessary software.

I downloaded Belarc Advisor and there's only "Standard Game Port" under multimedia.

I downloaded Everest and there's no device on "windows audio". I don't know what PCI/PnP Audio is, but it has a device: "VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller."

Here's more information that you might need:

ASUS A7V8X-MX SE 1.03
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7V8X-MX SE ACPI BIOS

I've read somewhere that I have to download and reinstall the driver from the website of the maker of my sound card. Or something like that. I dunno what to do anymore. I'm not really good with computers...help!!!

;) ;) :tazz:

ConfusedChic

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
In this case you have to look at the card or circuit, get the mfrs. name and the exact part number and go to the mfrs. website to download the drivers and install them. None of the device detectors properly recognize it.

If you have the disk that came with the motherboard you may find the sound drivers on it.

Edited by Tyger, 16 July 2005 - 08:13 AM.

shasha

shasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
so i need to remove the cover then? is there no other option?

:tazz:

oh wait, i think i have the disk...

Edited by shasha, 16 July 2005 - 08:43 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try Everest. It should identify your card, and provide a link to the driver.

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
whew found it finaly lol. i hate it when asus remakes their website and changes the structure of it.
if you havent added any new sound cards and are just using the intergrated one this will work.
SoundMAX Audio Driver version 5.12.01.3663 WHQL

shasha

shasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
thank you so much RogueComGeek!!! :tazz: ;) ;)

everything's working fine now. :help:

thanks to tyger and admin as well. :help:

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hey! I hope my sound will be restored like yours Sasha! I have your same exact

problem! Thanks RogueComGeek for the suggestion. Aww. darn. It looks like I can't

install this. As I am installing the SoundMax program, an error pops out: shown below.

What does it mean when it says to reboot my system, then do the setup again
soundmax.JPG

Edited by jackson1208, 18 July 2005 - 03:06 PM.

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
what is your motherboard model?

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My motherboard Model. Umm. . . I have an HP Pavilion Windows XP. The Motherboard? Wait, what is a motherboard. Is it my Hardrive?

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
okay what is the model of the hp computer? should be on the front of the computer

Edited by RogueComGeek, 18 July 2005 - 03:29 PM.

Advertisements

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Okay, the model is hp pavilion a475c. I hope that is it.

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Or is it ATI RADEON TM 9200SE AGP 8X graphics card with/ aww that can't be it

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
realtek AC'97 audio driver for hp pavilion a475c

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I just installed the program, and i restarted my computer as it told me to. But I can't seem to fix the problem, I enter control panel, and clicked audio devices. It still says No Audio Device, all the buttons are all grey, so I can't adjust anything. I click on the tab with hardware, and I see the REAltek AC' 97 is there, actually, I think i already have that codec.

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My god, I don't know what happened. I attempted to again install the codec you gave me, but this time I choose not to restart my computer. Then, I check back to Sounds and Audio Devices, Boom! Everything is back online. Ugghh . . . Impossible . . . Thx to you man! I want to thank you so much. Truly! I Can't Breathe . . . Just Kidding.

Edited by jackson1208, 18 July 2005 - 03:49 PM.