Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound after reinstalling windows xp

• Please log in to reply

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
lol welcome :-)

Advertisements

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My God! How are you capable of these impossible tasks? Not that I'm questioning your skills. You're impossible man. Such skills. You are truly the ♫Master♪.

jrkrown284

jrkrown284

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently reloaded Windows xp and the sound card cannot start. When I go to Device manager, I get the yellow question mark over the C-Media AC97 Audio Device. I do not have any sort of manufacturer restore disk. I've tried downloading every possible driver for the C-Media AC97 and it still doesn't help. I've unistalled and re-installed the sound card and still no help. I read on one of these chat lines that it's a problem with the motherboard. From all I can see, my motherboard is an AMI EC591. I can't find any sort of driver update anywhere on the internet. I still have no sound and I'm at a loss. I don't know where to continue from here. If anyone can help me figure out how to get my sound card card to start, I would appreciate the help.

Edited by jrkrown284, 27 July 2005 - 04:10 PM.

jrkrown284

jrkrown284

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I finally got the sound card going. Here's how I did it.
I went to the Lavalys web-site and I downloaded a free program called Everest Home Edition. Thank you user ADMIN for your 7/16/05 posting suggesting I use Everest. Everest is a hardware diagnosis tool that gives hardware information. This software identified the sound device as SIS 7012. I google searched "SIS 7012 driver" and I got pages of sites to download the driver. I downloaded the driver, restarted the computer and I had sound. If only I had this info about 12 hours earlier!!!

Edited by jrkrown284, 27 July 2005 - 04:11 PM.

jackson1208

jackson1208

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sorry I couldn't help you jrkrown, I too use the suggestion of others to help solve my errors. I'm not much of a computer expert to help others. Hey, congrats on fixing your sound, you practically fixed it on your own!

Edited by jackson1208, 27 July 2005 - 07:27 PM.

l0gical

l0gical

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanx a lot jrkrown284, finally some body who know what they're talking about. Spend 2 days trying to get sound on my laptop

Regards :-)))