Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Theme has gone

• Please log in to reply

Mane

Mane

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello,

After a malware attack (see here: http://www.geekstogo...6&#entry202416) my PC seems to have been left without the windows XP theme. I'm pretty sure that the malware has gone but i cannot change back to XP, everything is square like Windows 2000. Please see the attached screenshot for more of an idea about what i mean.
Is there anyway of restoring the XP theme?
Thanks,

Pat

Attached Thumbnails

• square.JPG

Advertisements

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I would try a windows repair. You will need your XP cd.

Boot up with the XP CD in the drive and let Setup run. Go past the "C" and "R" repair options by pressing Enter just as if you're doing a clean install and you'll eventually get an option to "Repair an existing installation". That's the one you want. If it asks about formatting you've gone wrong, so start over.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards. NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

Emery

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go to Control panel and double-click on the System icon.

Choose the Advanced tab and click on Perfomance settings button.

On the Visual effets tab, make sure the last item... Use Visual styles on windows and buttons is checked. (You may have to restart, I can't remember.)

makai

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
It was caused by Cleanup.

Here is how to fix it:

Click HERE to download Luna.

Unzip it to your desktop. Then using windows explorer MOVE the luna.msstyles file to this folder:
C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna

Don't move it to anywhere other than that folder! *NOTE* luna.msstyles may still be there, but it needs to be replaced with this one.

When you have moved it there, rightclick on your desktop > properties and look to see if Windows XPstyle is present again. Choose apply and OK.

If not, reboot then try to select Windows XPstyle

Mane

Mane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Excelent. That's sorted it! Thank you..

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts